Acne is a prevalent skin condition, mostly encountered during the time of COVID-19, and acne heal with pigmentation and skin scarring. Best way to avoid scarring is to start early acne treatment. The acne scar can have a significant negative impact feeling of embarrassment, frustration and low self-esteem, thus affecting the quality of life. Early interventions into skincare is highly recommended as it’s impossible to achieve normal-looking skin even with all the present latest technology and techniques in the armamentarium of your treating doctor. Delayed healing leads to the formation of scar tissue which is tough, less malleable, and less elastic. The market is flooded with creams and gels packed with salicylic acid, Retinoids, Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Lactic acid, which help in exfoliation of dead cells, cleans pores, decreases sebaceous activity, kills P.acne, the acne-causing bacteria. These products improve hyperpigmentation mild superficial scarring.
However, if you are struggling bad, there are various treatments available to get rid of acne. However, before undergoing any such treatments, it is a must to consult a skin specialist, looking for all possible ways to get rid of those scars.
Fractional Microneedling and Fractional Laser
Latest technology like fractional micro-needling and fractional laser create micro-injury into the skin with keeping the islands of normal tissue intact. This particular treatment helps to remodel the scar tissue on these micro-injuries and repair with average healthy collagen production, thus helping to decrease the scar improving on skin texture as well. Depending on the density of scar tissue laden in deep skin layers, your treating doctor may decide to release these tight fibrous bands. PRP (platelet-rich plasma) combined with micro-needling or injected with super fine needles helps in removing the tight fibrous bands and improving the superficial skin texture and quality.
Ablative Laser Mapping
The acne scar along its boundary helps to blur drastic changes in the skin between scar tissue to healthy normal skin. Scar area is usually a depression, which reflects light in an altered fashion, compared to normal skin. Soft fillers are also used to plump up the aged skin, which gives a stretch to the skin hence helping to decrease the acne scar.
Photostimulation with red light for anti-ageing or blue light for acne helps to restore healthy skin. Laser rejuvenation facial helps in removing the sticky dead cells. It cleans the pores and stimulates the new collagen formation.
Regular Use Of Skincare & Sunscreen
Depending on the type of scar, various kinds of treatments can be proposed. Ice pick scar, rolling scar boxcar type atrophic scar or a hypertrophic scar can be advised based on the quality of skin, amount of collagen breakdown in the skin. A combination treatment that caters to superficial and deep repair works best in most cases. Regular use of skincare products is advised. Broad-spectrum UVA UVB HEV IR sunscreen is imperative to use throughout your treatments to avoid complications.
Watch: What is Mask Acne:
Listed below are some Do’s and Don’ts for those with acne-prone skin:
Whether you are a college-going girl or a working woman, acne-prone skin needs special care. One should consult a dermatologist to start a treatment of acne breakouts when they become difficult to control. Also, one should consider taking a few essential measures to prevent your acne flare-ups. Here are a few dos and don’ts one should consider.
- Try Tea Tree Oil: This natural oil contains natural antiseptic properties that help combat bacteria and germs. Apply it with the help of a cotton ball and no need to wash it off. Exfoliate with light hands so that you do not further irritate the scars.
- Wash Linen Properly: The linen that you are sleeping on is essential. Hence, make sure that the linen is clean is it can be a major reason for acne breakout.
- Clean Cosmetic Brushes Regularly: It is a must to wash the makeup brushes regularly as they are home to germs and bacteria, leading to clogged pores. Hence, make use of lukewarm water or makeup brush cleansers for washing the brushes thoroughly.
- Apply Vitamin C, E and FERULIC ACID: Apply these serums as just a few drops help in rejuvenating the glow of your skin.
- Avoid Changing Your Acne Creams: Don’t become impatient with your ongoing medication or treatments and don’t combat your skin with new acne products every week. Give your skin some time to show the difference. Each product may work on different timelines.
Last but not least, don’t forget to keep taking good care of yourself and have a healthy and balanced diet. Avoid junk and fried food which leads to acne.
Read more articles on Skincare