6 Effective Pregnancy Workouts for Normal Delivery
Workout during pregnancy is helpful for mother’s health and increases the possibility of a normal delivery. Here are 6 effective pregnancy workouts you can do for normal delivery
- Exercise is good during pregnancy
- No heavy workouts in initial stages of pregnancy
- Do warm up before you start exercising
Few people believe that, workout during pregnancy can be harmful. In fact, physical exercise during pregnancy keeps mother healthy and increases the possibility of a normal delivery. Exercises can be categorized into 3 phases of pregnancy
- 1st Trimester (first 3 months)
- 2nd Trimester (13-27 weeks)
- 3rd Trimester
Here are 6 effective workouts you can do during your pregnancy for normal delivery
Exercises for 1st Trimester
First 3 months of pregnancy are very critical, it is highly recommended to avoid lifting weights and doing intense workout.
Before starting any exercise warm up is must.
- Head nod - 1 set of 10 reps (up and down)
- Head circles – 1 set of 5 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Head tilt – 1 set of 10 reps (right and left)
- Arm circles – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Shoulder circles – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Side lunges – 1 set of 5 reps
Know you are ready for the exercise
Also read: Tests to Diagnose Hormone Problems in Women
- Make a start with, leaning your head back, backside pressing a wall, feet hip width apart and shoulders relaxed.
- Standing against the wall, bring your feet in the front, away from the wall.
- Imagine like you are going to sit on a chair and slowly drop your waist.
- Take your hands above the head and rest them against the wall and slowly pull them down on either side of your head. 1 set of 10 reps.
Bridge or hip raises
Starting position: Lie flat on the floor and bend your knees, place your arms under your hips
- Raise your hips up slowly and try to bring torso in line with the shoulder
- Hold a second and get back into the initial position
2nd Trimester exercise
- Assume yourself in a cat pose, with flat palms and pointed toes against the floor
- Arch your back gently; bend your head down so that your spine looks curved in shape.
- Hold this posture for a second and then come back to the starting position, relax and repeat.
Side plank (modified)
- Take your torso up, supporting your body with knees and forearm and feel the stretch in your abs and back.
- Be in this posture as long as you can then slowly bring your body back to an initial position.
- Do the same on your other side.
3rd Trimester exercise
In this phase of pregnancy it is advised to avoid heavy exercises.
Take exercise ball and sit comfortably with your back straight.
- Place your feet on the ground a bit wider and start stretching by moving your pelvis slightly forward and back. For completing 1 set 3 reps are enough, repeat exercise for 20-25 minutes.
Asanas like yastikasana, vakrasana and konasana are highly recommended yoga asanas for expecting mothers as these poses increases flexibility and endurance.
Note that, if you feel uncomfortable during any of these exercises, immediately stop doing it and also consult your doctor before doing them.
Also read articles on Women's health.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team May 09, 2019
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.