19-Second Breathing Exercise: It is essential to keep the lungs healthy for a long life. Here's how you can do this with practice.
The 4-7-8 (or relaxing breath) exercise: Do you know that you breathe between twelve and twenty times per minute? Unless you are suffering from any congestion or illness, you probably won’t even realize that you are breathing. But have you ever noticed your breathing when you are relaxed? Next time, take a moment to see how you breathe just before you fall asleep or wake up in the morning. Breathing exercises have a significant impact on our lives as it helps you feel relaxed. Most of us breathe lightly, and because of this, our lungs are unable to function according to their capacity, and it affects our mental health as well. The lungs are an essential part of our body, and they need to function correctly. In light of increasing pollution, OnlyMyHealth has taken one initiative! From the 1st of November, we have started an awareness campaign 'My Right to Breathe', under which we will tell people to what extent the pollution can harm them. This week, we will focus on how alternative therapies can help in curbing pollution. Today, with this article, learn this breathing exercise (the right way to breathe) and keep your lungs healthy in this pollution filled environment.
What are the benefits of proper breathing?
Deep breathing reduces the level of stress in the body, which has already been proved in many studies. Not only this, when you take a deep breath, it alerts your brain to relax. Breathe in Breathe out health benefits:
- Increases calm and energy
- Relieves pain
- Detoxifies the body
- Decreases stress
- Stimulates the lymphatic system
- Improves immunity and digestion
- Lowers blood pressure
Here we are suggesting you a breathing technique that can help you relax, and this technique is called 4-7-8.
How to perform this 4 -7- 8 breathing technique?
To do this technique, first of all, sit down on the floor peacefully and keep your back straight. Do you have trouble sitting straight? If yes, then you can also use the wall to keep your back upright. To start this practice:
- Breathe through the nose for 4 seconds and close your mouth.
- Count up to four in your mind.
- After this, stop your breath for 7 seconds. If you are finding it difficult to hold your breath for 7 seconds, in the beginning, do not stress too much. By trying, you will be able to do it.
- After this, release the breath from your mouth and count to 8 in mind. Repeat this process at least three times. You can do this more often if you want.
Can pranayama be accompanied with 4 -7- 8 breathing?
- This process can be an early step in your habit of taking deep breaths. If you use this particular form of breathing, (which is the fundamental basis of breathing exercise), then you can also adopt Pranayama for more significant benefits.
- In Pranayama you breathe in three parts. Prāṇāyāma consists of synchronising the movements with a breath between asanas. In yoga, it is known as the practice of breath control.
- You can also opt for Kapalbhati (breath of fire) and other breath-related options to get more benefit from breathing effectively.
A quick tip: If you feel that your day is terrible and you are troubled by complaints like headache, then taking a deep breath can make you physically and mentally healthy.
Read more articles on Mind & Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.