For all the people out there who think that yoga is something which just helps to meditate and relax the body, here is an eye opener. Yoga is known for its various benefits and these benefits are not just limited to being physical but it has some collateral benefits as well. The fact which is not known to many people is that yoga does not just help to treat joint pains and muscle pulls but is a form of exercise that can help to tone the body as well. Here are 5 yoga postures that will help you to reduce weight, tone the waistline and achieve those defined abs when practiced regularly.
Yoga poses for defined abs
Follow these 5 yoga poses to get a toned waistline and defined abs.
1. Cobra Pose
Also known as bhujangasana, Cobra pose is a simple yoga posture that helps to relieve lower back pain, fight fatigue and boost the energy levels in the body. Despite being a simple exercise, practising cobra pose can do wonders to your body.
Image Credits- 25 hours news
This yoga exercise helps to work your shoulders, chest, spine, abdomen and lungs by providing the necessary stretch. An exercise that can be practiced to get defined abs and toned buttocks, cobra pose is also proven to be heart and lung health. People suffering from sciatica or asthma can also practice this yoga posture.
Follow these simple steps in order to gain the benefits of this pose-
- Lie down on your stomach with your hands under your shoulders.
- Stretch out your body and make sure that our feet are hips width apart.
- Place your palms on ether side of your chest so that they are pressing the floor
- Slowly lift your chest up and extend your neck by straightening your arms and pushing your palms against the floor.
- Keep your back neutral and make sure that your lower body is still.
- Stay in this pose of 15 seconds and come back to your initial position.
2. Triangle Pose
The triangle pose of ‘trikonasana’ is known to provide relief from back pain, shoulder pain, reduce stress, increase stability, stimulate organs and lengthen the spine by stretching it out. This yoga posture also helps to provide strength to your core and has the ability to get rid of the toxins in the body. Apart from all this, triangle pose also helps to tone and strengthen the thigh muscles, provide mobility to hip joint, stimulates the abdominal organs, strengthens ankles, hips, hamstrings and knees
Image Credits- Verywell fit
A yoga posture which comes with collateral benefits along with the physical ones like getting rid of constipation by improving digestion, elevating the symptoms of menopause, relieving stress and anxiety.
Here is how to perform triangle pose to get defined abs and reap its other health benefits-
- Stand on a mat with your feet at a distance of 3 feet parallel to each other.
- Turn your right foot out at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Lift up your palms aligning with the shoulders so that your palms are facing the ground.
- Stretch forward while lengthening the right side of your body and touch your right foot with the fingertips of your right hand.
- Stretch up your left hand in the air with the palm facing forward and your shoulders stacking in such a manner that your back is aligned.
- Stay in this position for five breaths and then repeat the same on the other side.
3. Boat Pose
A pose which is way more challenging than it looks and excellent for developing the core. Boat pose is also known as the ‘navasana’ which is beneficial for improving balance, strengthening the neck, spine, abs and legs. Not just useful for strengthening the body but boat pose is also known to improve the mental focus.
Follow these steps to reap the benefits of ‘navasana’ -
- Sit on a mat and extend your feet in the front.
- Lean back, sit on your bones and slowly lift your legs above from the ground
- Keep your legs straight and extend your arms to hold the ankles.
- Balance on your sit bones and lengthen your spine while engaging your core.
4. Camel Pose
Camel pose is a yoga posture also known as ‘ ustrasana’ which helps to increase the flexibility of the spine. This yoga posture comes with a lot many benefits and helps to open up the hips, stretch back and shoulder muscles, improve respiration by opening up the chest, reduces thigh fat and provides relief from lower back pain.
Image Credits- Openfit
An exercise that comes with so many health benefits, camel pose can also help you to get defined and toned abs by following some simple steps.
- Kneel on the ground with your feet hip distance apart.
- Place your hands on the back of the hips in a way that our fingers are pointing downwards.
- Slowly try to reach your heels with your fingertips by stretching your chest and pushing the shoulders in backward direction.
- Stay in this position for 6 breaths and then come back to the initial position.
A key asana meant to develop the core and arm strength, plank position is also known as the ‘phalakasana’. This position is a great way to detox as it makes your body heat and sweat. This exercise aims at strengthening your core, providing better posture, enhancing bone health, increasing muscle definition, reducing back pain and improving balance. Apart from its various physical benefits, this posture is also known to increase the metabolic process, relieve stress and enhance mood.
Image Credits- Real Simple
Follow these simple steps to get toned abs via plank position or ‘phalakasana’-
- Start with all fours and align your shoulders with the wrists and elbows bend.
- Ground the toes onto the floor and stabilize your body by squeezing the glutes.
- Make sure that your hands are shoulder width apart and your back is aligned.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds and then slowly get down on your knees.
Read more articles in Yoga