Working in night shifts during pregnancy is considered fun by some pregnant women. As it gives them freedom to interact with friends and relatives during the day. But women who are working at night shift need to take extra care of them.
According to a study published in Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Reuters Health, pregnant women who work in night shift are at greater risk of premature delivery in comparison to those who work in day shifts. This study examined 1,900 pregnant women from North Carolina. Some of them worked in day shift and the others in night.
In another study conducted in Denmark studied relation between pregnancy and work in night shifts. Results stated that pregnant woman who work in night shift are at increased risk of miscarriage or stillbirth. Other factors such as age, smoking habits as well as physical demands of their job were also taken into consideration.
It is better to avoid night shifts during pregnancy but still if you opt to work at night then keep rest of your routine as simple and as healthy as possible.
- If your job requires you to sit for long hours then it is essential to maintain a comfortable posture. Make sure that your posture does not strain your back. A firm seat and back cushions can help as the pregnancy progress. Make sure that you stretch your legs after every thirty minutes.
- Keep your seniors informed about your pregnancy. Inform them about your possibility of taking leaves and try to work on mutually agreeable and beneficial manner.
- Always keep fresh fruits handy even during your office hours. The snack cupboard of your home must be filled with healthy snacks such as roasted almonds, nuts, juices and glucose biscuits.
- Make pregnancy exercises part of your daily routine. Especially if your job demands you to sit for long hours at a stretch. Take short breaks to stretch a bit, you can use office corridors to walk.
- Aerobics and prenatal exercise are must for pregnant women who are working at night.
- Sleep well in afternoons and weekends for compensating the missed out sleep during your night shifts. Sleep cycle of most women get effected during pregnancy. If you face any such problem then consult your gynecologist.
- Night shifts during pregnancy can add to level of fatigue and stress. Practice relaxation techniques for getting to de-stress yourself. Meditation, yoga and other meditation techniques will surely help you to calm down.
Read more articles on Working during Pregnancy.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.