The major eye problems with type 2 diabetes person may include: diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, glaucoma.
Type 2 Diabetes mellitus can lead to reversible, temporary blurring of the vision, or severe, permanent loss of vision. The major eye problems that a person with type 2 diabetes may develop include;
- Diabetic retinopathy: Diabetic retinopathy has become a leading cause of blindness worldwide in adults. The blood vessels in the retina are damaged by high blood sugar. This causes leakage of fluid from retinal blood vessels and abnormal growth of new blood vessels on the surface of the retina. In severe cases diabetic retinopathy can lead to retinal detachment.
- Cataracts: Anyone can develop cataract, but people with diabetes tend to develop cataract at an earlier age.
- Glaucoma: All of us are at risk of developing glaucoma, especially if there is family history of glaucoma. But the risk of developing glaucoma is higher in people with diabetes.
Eye problems are common complication of type 2 diabetics. Most eye problems in a person with diabetes can be prevented or delayed by good control of blood sugar.
Eye care in diabetes
- Go for regular eye exam by a vision professional (at least once a year or as often as recommended by your doctor)--early detection and appropriate treatment can reduce your risk of blindness due to eye diseases related to diabetes.
- Do not ignore any changes in vision, even blurred vision—consult your doctor immediately
Serious eye problems in diabetes can be prevented by;
- Maintain blood sugar as normal as possible---take your medication regularly as prescribed by your doctor. Go for regular follow up for blood sugar level checking.
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet
- Doing regular exercises
- Avoiding smoking and alcohol
- Regular screening from your eye doctor (once a year).
Dr Poonam Sachdeva, our in-house medical expert talks about the why what and how in diabetes.
Read more articles on Eye Problems and Diabetes
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.