What is the treatment of Dengue?
Dengue Treatment: Knowing about the treatment of dengue is important. Add to your knowledge and equip yourself with ways to treat dengue fever.
There is no specific treatment for dengue fever. Most people with uncomplicated dengue fever improve within 2 weeks.
If you have dengue fever without any complications your doctor will recommend supportive treatment.
Treatment for people with mild form of the disease, includes
- Bed rest.
- Drink plenty of fluids like oral rehydration solution, fresh juice, soups, coconut water. This will help to prevent dehydration due to vomiting and high fever.
- Antipyretics (medication for fever): Acetaminophen helps to reduce pain and fever. Avoid aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen. These drugs increase the risk of bleeding complications.
- Tepid sponging to reduce fever
In people with severe form of the disease, treatment includes;
- Admission in a hospital
- Oxygen (if the patient is in shock or is very ill)
- Medications to lower fever and to decrease the pain
- Blood pressure monitoring (as people with DSS and DHF are at risk of developing very low blood pressure).
- Intravenous (IV) fluid and electrolyte replacement to manage fluid loss, prevent dehydration and maintain blood pressure
- Blood transfusion to replace blood loss if required
- Platelet transfusion if your platelet count decreases
Prompt and judicious administration of fluids (oral and intravenous), supportive care (oxygen, medication for fever and pain, blood and platelet transfusion), and good monitoring (blood pressure, heart rate, and fluid status) in patients with DHF or DSS can prevent complications and even death.
Read more articles on Dengue Treatment
Source: Expert Content Apr 04, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.