Understand Lung Diseases- Abnormal breathing sound, chronic cough, haemoptysis and difficulty in breathing are some of the common symptoms of lung disease.
The term lung disease indicates any disease that can affect the lungs and related structures (airways, alveoli or blood vessels). The signs and symptoms of each lung disease are different but there are certain common signs and symptoms of lung diseases. These include:
- Persistent/chronic cough with or without sputum: According to the American Lung Association, chronic cough and excessive production of mucus is one of the early signs of many lung diseases.
- Haemoptysis (coughing up blood): This is a serious sign which indicates that the lung problem is probably a grave one such as lung cancer or tuberculosis. According to the National Women's Health Information Center, blood in sputum may come from the lungs or the upper-respiratory tract.
- Difficulty in breathing (dyspnoea): According to experts, shortness of breath and the feeling that you cannot take in enough air is the body's signal that you probably have some type of lung damage or disease.
- Abnormal breathing sounds: Experts state that one of the signs of lung problems is abnormal breathing sounds or wheezing. This indicates that the air passage is blocked or narrow.
- Colds and Bronchial Infections: Recurrent colds and bronchial infections and the inability to recover quickly after respiratory illnesses probably indicate that you have some type of lung disease.
- Pallor (paleness of the skin) or cyanosis (bluish discoloration of the lips and skin).
- Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema): It can make breathing difficult and leads to a characteristic sound when listened with a stethoscope such as a bubbling sound in the lungs (rales) while breathing.
Some other concomitant symptoms of lung disease are:
- Lethargy or feeling tired.
- Chest pain or discomfort.
- Changes in voice.
If you have symptoms suggestive of lung disease, consult your doctor. Early and appropriate treatment may help to prevent the worsening of your lung disease.
Read more articles on Understand Lung Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.