What are the risks of Dengue?
Dengue Fever High risk areas: Areas in which people are at high risk of developing dengue fever include;
- People living in urban areas where the population density is high and sanitation is poor.
- Urban areas with large number of desert coolers, construction sites, uncovered overhead tanks, discarded buckets, tyres, utensils etc. which promote mosquito breeding,
- In rural areas Dengue fever/DHF can occur if the environment is friendly for mosquito breeding. Like if there are places where water can stagnate like storage water for cattle feeding and drinking, cement cisterns, underground cemented water sumps, discarded containers, tyres, bottles etc.
These factors provide favorable environment for breeding of Aedes mosquito as the mosquito is a mosquito is a peri-domestic and domestic breeder. It breeds in stagnant water collected in and around the house.
Risk factors of Dengue Fever
- Warm and humid season: Dengue fever occurs frequently during and shortly after the monsoon season (that is it occurs in warm and humid seasons).
- Urban areas: Transmission is more intense in urban areas with high population density and poor sanitation.
- Stagnant water: Areas where water collects and stagnates (like in desert coolers, construction sites, uncovered overhead tanks, discarded buckets, tyres, utensils etc. which promote mosquito breeding.
- Mosquito bites: If you do not take precautions to prevent mosquito bites
High risk group individuals
Factors that increase your risk of developing dengue fever or a more severe form of the disease are:
- Living in dengue endemic areas
- Travelling to dengue endemic areas
- Prior infection with a dengue fever. The second infection with dengue virus increases your risk of a more severe form of the disease.
- People of all age and sex are at risk of dengue fever--but the risk of complications and death are higher in younger children.
Read more articles on Dengue Causes and Risks
Source: Expert Content Apr 05, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.