Alzheimer’s disease is an irreversible disorder in which the brain slowly and slowly loses on memory and thinking skills and towards the end, the basic ability to carry out normal tasks also becomes very difficult. It appears close to the 65 of your age this disease doubles after every five years. Many people do not know the importance of the right diet in preventing Alzheimer’s. According to Ms. Manisha Chopra, a Nutritionist, Dietician and Fitness Expert, taking a proper diet right from the beginning can help in reducing the risk of this disease and other illnesses that arise with aging.
How does Alzheimer’s affect the human body?
- Initially, it destroys the neuron and their connections which involves memory. Then, in later stages, it affects language reasoning and social behaviour.
- You should take proper nutrition from the very beginning so that you can prevent it from happening or at least delay it as much as possible.
- If you are at starting to notice normal age-related memory loss or decline or you want to keep your brain healthy as much as possible, you should follow some diet for a healthy brain or eat foods to cut down Alzheimer's risk.
- You should do exercises and mind games so that your brain is active and cells keep on working.
Food for Alzheimer's prevention
Which food should be included in diet from the very starting of your life? Incorporating healthy eating habits right from the beginning can prove to be very beneficial for you. Here are some foods to include in Alzheimer’s prevention diet
- High-quality lean protein which includes fish omega, skinless white meat, chicken, egg whites and low or no-fat dairy products.
- Vegetables- dark leafy vegetables like kale, beans, spinach, broccoli, collard and other greens. You should at least have 5 to 6 servings in a week as it is very important. More emphasis on strawberries and blueberries.
- Nuts, seeds, extra-virgin oil, peanuts, avocados- Nuts are a good snack for brain health as it contains healthy fat fibres and antioxidants. A fist full of nuts is the portion everyone should take on a daily basis.
- Fruits like apples, bananas, oranges and other fruits should also be included.
- Vitamins like B12, omega-3, fatty acids, including green tea, an herbal supplement like ginkgo Biloba, foods that are high on antioxidants should be taken on a regular basis.
- It is believed that certain vitamins, fatty acids can slow or prevent memory loss.
Foods To Avoid
You should minimize the use of simple carbs like white bread, saturated fats, fried foods, dried foods like potato chips, cakes, muffins, high fructose syrup. Sugar is the worst food for our brain. You should avoid sugar as the brain is the most important organ in the body. Sugar has negative effects on the brain. It impacts your memory, moods, and it increases the risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease.
The role of diet is very important in this disease because a poor diet impacts memory and it always increases the chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
A good, healthy, nutritious food and lifestyle are an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Alzheimer’s disease happens when there is an abnormal build-up of protein, in and around brain cells whether you are suffering from memory loss or starting to feel that you are going towards it.
Read More Articles in Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.