What are few dental care tips for kids?
Dental care and good dental hygiene must be a part every child’s daily routine. The American dental Association recommends that first dental visit should be when a child is about one year old, but most children or even adults don’t visit a dentist until they have a problem. This is a wrong approach as it prevents timely diagnosis and treatment of dental problems. Most experts recommend that visit a dentist twice a year. Here are a few tips for parents to ensure proper dental care and hygiene:
- As soon as their teeth show up brush them.
- Encourage your child to brush twice a day (in the morning and before they go to sleep at night).
- Supervise your child to brush properly and to spit out the toothpaste.
- Use toothpaste that contains fluoride as fluoride strengthens tooth enamel which can decrease the risk of decay.
- Make sure they are eating a balanced diet and minimize snacking between meals. Avoid giving them foods and drinks that contain excessive amounts of acid and sugar.
- If your child has had a sugary treat brush teeth half an hour after it. This can help to keep their teeth healthy.
- Take your child to a dentist for check up every six to 12 months.
Taking measures that keep your child's teeth and gums healthy will decrease their risk of dental caries and other oral health problems. If your child has any problem in tooth or gums visit your dentist.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.