What is an Abortion Used for?
Many people consider abortion unacceptable and in many religions it is considered as sin. Abortion is a controversial topic even though it is legal in several countries. It is never easy to decide on an abortion and it is always a difficult decision for the woman. However there are some valid reasons for which an abortion may be necessary.
[Read: How is Abortion done?]
- Rape: Pregnancy after rape can be very traumatic for the woman. Abortion may help ease the pain and trauma of rape and the subsequent pregnancy and probably assist the victim in moving on with her life.
- Incest: Pregnancy as a result of an intercourse with a family member (consensual or forced) may justify the abortion. It can prevent the stigma and pain for the child. These children are at risk of considerable medical or health problems due to inbreeding.
[Read: Risks of Abortion]
- Economic Reasons: If the parents/woman cannot support the child due to extreme poverty (like they can hardly clothe and feed themselves)--may be a reason for abortion.
- Social Reasons: Abortion may be justified in case of teenage pregnancy, unwanted pregnancies, unwed mother, pregnancy due to contraceptive failure because continuation of pregnancy can cause psychological and emotional trauma.
- Medical Reasons: If prenatal testing shows that the fetus is at risk of or has some severe birth defect the woman may choose abortion. Another valid reason for abortion is some medical condition in the mother, which can be complicated by pregnancy and would endanger the mother’s health and life. So this may necessitate abortion of the foetus.
[Read: How can one Prepare for Abortion]
There may be several valid reasons for abortion but before going for an abortion it is important to think carefully and be sure this is what you want. The decision to have an abortion might affect you in the future so before going for it consult your parents, doctor, friend or any other trusted adult.
Read more articles on Abortion
Source: Expert Content Sep 01, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.