From childhood to old age and all your adult life, milk is a staple meal that we all consume throughout our lives to get benefitted from its high nutritional value. Traditionally consumed dairy milk of cows and buffaloes has taken a new shape in today's world where people are going vegan to save the environment, animals and their different species, hence a term called plant based diet came into existence. As this diet does not include any kind of animal based products and milk is one of them , here are 5 vegan plant based milk alternatives that you can opt for to follow the trending vegan dirt and save the environment. So without further ado let's jump straight into the article and learn about the health benefits of 5 different plant based milks.
5 Types of Plant Based Milk
Here are 5 plant based vegan milk alternatives and their health benefits which you can try to improve your health.
1. Almond milk
Lactose and dairy-free, almond milk is a plant based beverage that is made out of ground almonds and water which is the best alternative for people who are lactose intolerant. With its sweet and nutty flavour, almond milk is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals which has low calories and is rich in calcium, magnesium and other such nutrients.
Packed with the goodness of various nutrients, almond milk comes with a variety of health benefits.
- As almond milk is lactose-free it is a very good alternative for all those people who are lactose intolerant.
- The presence of magnesium, proteins, fiber and healthy fats in almonds helps in controlling the blood sugar levels of the body and can be very beneficial for people with diabetes as it helps in correcting the magnesium deficiency in the body and improves the insulin function by lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Rich in antioxidants, almond milk protects your body against the oxidative stress which can result in aging, inflammation and can also lead to chronic diseases like cancer by damaging the molecules in your cells.
- The almond skin or peel being rich in polyphenol antioxidants protects you from oxidation of low density lipoprotein which can cause the development of heart diseases.
- Almond milk has lower levels of potassium and phosphorus and hence is good for people with chronic kidney diseases. As dairy milk has a high amount of nutrients in it, it is avoided by people as their kidneys cannot clear up these nutrients, they get build up in blood.
Also Read: Check Out The Health Benefits, Uses And Recipe Of Homemade Almond Milk
2. Soy Milk
A waste product which is left in the process of making tofu soy milk is a lactose-free flavourful beverage. Fortified with vitamins A, B-12 and D soy milk is rich in calcium and a good source of potassium which contains protein as much as in cow’s milk, soy milk can be a very good alternative to your usual dairy milk.
A vegan, plant based milk which is high in protein and supports in maintaining the organ and muscle health comes with many health benefits.
- Rich in potassium soy milk helps in maintaining a regular pulse, lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol level soy milk helps to support the cardiovascular system.
- With the abundance of omega-3 fatty acids, known as the healthy fats, soy milk helps to prevent diseases like alzhimer and dementia.
3. Coconut Milk
A plant based beverage safe for people with nut allergies and a good source of vitamin A, Vitamin D and calcium coconut milk is made up of filtered water and coconut cream.
Here are some health benefits of drinking fresh coconut milk.
- High in calories and electrolytes coconut milk helps in reducing fatigue, improving stamina and building muscles.
- Due to the presence of a lipid called lauric acid, consuming coconut milk reduces the risk of infections and boosts up the immune system.
- The lauric acid in coconut milk is packed with anti-inflammatory antifungal and antibacterial properties which helps in killing cancerous cells in your body.
- Coconut milk is said to aid weight loss as it stimulates heat through energy production and helps in reducing waist size and body weight.
4. Oats Milk
Dairy free, high in fibre, vitamins and nutrients oats are not just healthy breakfast but a great dairy milk alternative as well. A nutritious, creamy, sweet tasting beverage loaded with micronutrients and macronutrients oat milk can be a good choice.
A popular plant based substitute of dairy milk which has been a part of many diets across the world for centuries contains a large portion of protein and dietary fibres.
- A regular consumption of oat milk might be helpful in lowering the bad cholesterol in the blood and prevent the buildup of low density lipoproteins in arteries which might lead to cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis.
- As oat milk consists of zinc, potassium and magnesium, it helps in the formation of healthy bones.
- The presence of soluble fibre such as beta glucan slows down the absorption of carbohydrates in turn slowly and steadily supplies sugar into the bloodstream and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Good for digestion and a healthy gut, high in fibre oat milk strengthens the immune system and constipation and improves the body’s ability to heal itself.
Also Read: 7 Health Benefits of Overnight Oats And Why They Are Better Than Regular Ones
5. Cashew Milk
A creamy and delicious plant based milk which can be used to make anything from coffee, tea, soups, etc is loaded with the goodness of calcium, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
Milk extracted out of a dry fruit which is good for your bone and eye health is not just healthy but tasted as well.
- Due to the presence of high calcium, potassium, vitamin K and magnesium cashew milk is a good bone building element. Adding cashew milk to your daily diet can help you to maintain bone density as the vitamin K in it helps in the process of mineralisation.
- Anacardic acid in cashew milk helps in stimulating the uptake of blood circulation and results in betterblood sugar control and hence is a good option for diabetic patients.
- Cashew milk is considered to be good for your eye health because of the presence of lutein and zeaxanthin antioxidants which helps in reversing the damage cause by the free radicals to the eyes.
Read more Articles On Healthy Diet