Travelling with Pets
Specific feeding instruction
Ask the vet about specific feeding instructions for your pet. Give them the detail of your pet such as age and daily dietary routine Moreover, ask them whether you can feed your pet right before you travel; pets too can suffer from motion sickness.
Avoid tranquilizer shots
You must avoid tranquilizer shots because if traveling by air, it might increase the risk of respiratory problems and lead to heart attacks too.
Pet travel kit
You pet travel kit must have following items:
- Pet food.
- Water dishes.
- Pet’s favourite toy.
- A blanket.
- Towels and wash cloth.
- Brush or comb.
- Vet Wrap.
- Vet-prescribed pain relief.
- A list of phone numbers of your regular and emergency.
Air Travel with Pets
Go to the vet: Mostly airlines ask for a certificate from the veterinarian.. So make sure you have a certificate of proof which has an updated rabies vaccine.
- It must be large enough so that your pet can stand, turn around and lie down. It should not restrict your pet’s movement.
- Latch the crate properly.
- Crate should be adequately ventilated.
- Floor of the cage should have high quality absorbent material.
- Give your pet some time to adapt to the crate. Apparently, it is not used to a caged, claustrophobic environment.
- Put a piece of clothing well worn by you and emits your odour; it will make your pet feel comfortable.
Tag your pets and crate: Make sure you tag your pet and include your name, home address, destination address, home phone number and destination number.
Photograph and health information: Carry your pet’s photograph and health information. For easy identification, in case you lose you the cage label. Moreover, once you reach your destination the same could come handy in urgent situations.
Travel by Car Checklist
- To make your dog attuned to travel make sure you take short trips by car once a week.
- Encourage your dogs to keep their heads inside the car; if they keep it outside the window it might cause irritation in the eyes.
- Let your cats find a comfortable place in the car.
- Accustom your pet to leashes and harnesses.
- If staying overnight at a hotel or motel make sure you find one which permits your pet to stay the night with you.
If you keep the above tips in mind you’re likely to enjoy your vacation travel with your pets!
Read more articles on Air Travel
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 03, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.