Weight Gain Supplements
You generally come across people who are trying to lose weight. It can be a struggle. However, do you know that gaining weight is equally challenging too? Being underweight is as bad as being overweight. Weighing less than normal can increase your risk for fertility-related health problems, a weakened immune system, and osteoporosis. In children, it can be a sign of malnutrition and can lead to stunted growth. Those who are trying to gain weight should aim at gaining muscle mass, rather than fat. Having a protein-rich diet and doing some exercises are the way to do it. There are some weight gain supplements too that can help.
Weight Gain Supplements Options
If you are trying to gain weight, here are some weight gain supplements you can try:
You might already know that protein helps you build muscle mass. In fact, experts recommend that 10-35% of your daily calorie intake should come from proteins. You can either get this from natural sources. Eggs, milk, and chicken are some of the widely explored options. However, some people also take protein supplements, in the form of shake or bars to fulfill their daily protein intake. Whatever option you choose, do note that just having proteins will not help you gain weight unless you go on a calorie surplus diet. Hence, eat more than the daily calorie requirement for a person with normal weight and include a lot of protein in your diet.
As you already know, you need to consume more than the normal calorie requirement in order to gain way. One way to do this is to eat more food. However, for people who are time-starved and want something convenient, weight gainers supplements might be an option. These are no magic potions. These are just high-calorie products that are high in carbohydrates and fats. These generally come in the form of proteins.
Creatine is one of the most widely researched sports supplements. Although found naturally in our body and in certain foods, when taken as a supplement, creatine leads to a rapid release of energy. Research has shown that regular creatine consumption can increase workout performance and help a person gain muscle mass.
Although many weight gain supplements are available in the market, they won’t be effective enough if you do not exercise. Hence, what might work are some supplements that can improve your workout performance and help you gain muscle mass.
Many people consume caffeine, mostly coffee before they work out. Coffee is believed to improve exercise performance and research hints at the same too. And a good workout can help you improve your muscle mass. However, even this will be ineffective if you do not consume more calories and proteins.
This is an amino acid, which is present naturally in our body. It helps relieve exercise-induced fatigue. When taken as a supplement, it is believed to improve exercise performance, thus leading to muscle gain in the long run. However, more research is needed into this.
This is yet another amino acid that is found naturally in our bodies and in foods. This improves blood flow. Some research suggests that workout performance improves after taking this as a supplement. It is believed to help build muscle mass by helping you to perform better while exercising. However, more research is needed into this.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Weight Gain Supplements?
Although weight gain supplements might help you gain weight, these are not completely devoid of any ill effects. Here are some of the possible side effects of taking these supplements:
- Muscle Cramps: Many times, people go overboard with these supplements and train excessively, which leads to muscle pulls and cramps.
- Kidney-Related Issues: Inappropriate intake of weight gain supplements has been linked to some kidney-related ailments.
- Liver Problems: An inappropriate consumption of these supplements can also cause liver problems.
- Nausea and Diarrhea: Weight gain powders when taken in an inappropriate quantity might also lead to nausea and diarrhea.
- Unhealthy Weight Gain: If consume weight gain supplements too much, or if the consumption is far more than your physical activity, those excess calories will end up as fat around the body. This isn’t healthy and what you need is to gain muscle mass.
Foods For Weight Gain
Although taking weight gain supplements is a convenient way to gain weight, if you consume the extra calories via food, it will not only help you gain weight but will also provide other nutritional benefits. Here are some foods you can eat while trying to gain weight:
- Milk: This animal-sourced food is rich in fats, carbohydrates, and most importantly protein, which help in gaining muscle mass. Not only that contains calcium, which makes our teeth and bones stronger.
- Eggs: We all know that eggs are rich in proteins. They also contain healthy fats and other vital nutrients, making them a good option for your go-to weight-gaining snack.
- Rice: This is a good source of complex carbohydrates that help in weight gain. Rice is versatile too can be consumed in various ways, such as with dal and vegetables, in dosa and idli, or in the form of pulao or biryani. Not only rice but there are also other sources of starchy carbs too that can help you gain weight. Such foods include potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, pasta, whole-grain cereals, and whole-grain bread.
- Nuts: Great snacks, nuts can help you to gain weight effectively and healthily.
- Dried Fruits: These are yet another nutritious and tasty option to gain weight.
- Dark Chocolate: This is probably the yummiest option to gain weight. This calorie-dense food item is rich in fat, thus aiding weight gain. It is also rich in antioxidants. However, you must note one thing, always opt for dark chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa.
Exercises To Gain Weight
You already know that you cannot effectively gain weight without working out. However, you must be extremely cautious about what weight gain option you choose. If you go for aerobic workouts, which paces up your heartbeat, they can instead make you burn more calories, causing weight gain. To clear the confusion over what to here, here are the weight gain exercises you can pick:
- Lie down on your stomach with your palms flat on the floor and placed a shoulder-width distance apart.
- Gently push yourself up so much so that your arms are straight.
- Here, make sure, your head, back, and legs are in a straight line.
- Lower down gently till your nose is about to touch the floor.
- Repeat this any number of times you can.
- You will need a pullup bar for this one.
- Hold the bar with your palms with a firm grip.
- Pull yourself up till your legs are above the ground.
- Next, start pulling yourself up till your chin is above the bar.
- Gently lower yourself down.
- Repeat the same for as many times as you can.
- Stand straight with your legs hips distance apart.
- Bring your palms to your waist and firm up your abdominal muscles.
- Start lowering yourself down as if you are about to sit. Lower to the extent that your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Rise up again and repeat the same any number of times you can.
- Stand straight.
- Next, bring your right leg forward just like when you do while walking.
- Keep that right leg extended and gently lower down till your thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Rise up and repeat the same 4-5 times.
- Now, do the same on the opposite leg.
Now that you have ample knowledge on how to gain weight, making the right choice might have become easier. Just remember, just like crash dieting isn’t an effective and sustainable way to lose weight, similarly just gorging on calories isn’t the only thing you need to gain weight. Eating right, exercising enough, and taking an appropriate amount of weight gain supplements are what you need.