Tips for oiling hair the right way
- Oiling can improve your hair quality and strengthen them.
- Too much oil or the wrong choice of oil can damage your scalp and hair.
- Choose oil based on the type of your hair.
- Follow proper technique to massage your scalp with oil.
Oiling is one of the best things you can do to your hair. It has been very popular in India since the ancient times and is still one of the most widely followed weekly rituals. Almost every household witnesses weekly hair massages with oil. It helps relieve stress from the scalp, prevents bacterial and fungal infection, and strengthens the roots.
Image source : Getty
Although the weekly hair massage with oil, also called ‘champi’ is very common, the choice of oil and method of applying has evolved with time. Since the scalp produces its own natural oils to provide nourishment to growing hair, applying oil to the scalp becomes a matter of what and how much. Too much of oil can block pores one the scalp, increasing risks of harm to the health of the scalp and the hair. Similarly, an oily scalp may need less oiling as compared to a dry scalp. Both, too much oil on the oily scalp and too less oil on a dry scalp can do more harm than good. Similarly the right oil that suits your scalp and hair type is very important.
Also read : How to use olive oil for hair growth
There is no perfect technique to apply oil, however, you can get optimum results by following tips.
- Always prefer luke warm oil as it spreads easily over the scalp.
- Using the tips of your fingers, apply the hair oil right on the scalp instead of the hair.
- Never pour oil directly onto the head, only dip your finger slightly in the oil before applying the oil to the scalp.
- Gently massage the scalp with your fingers. Never rub your hair with your palms.
- Keep massaging your scalp for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Steam your hair with a hot towel for around 10 minutes to help absorption of oil.
- Leave the oil in your hair overnight.
- Wash your hair with a suitable shampoo within 24 hours.
- Oil your hair at least once a week.
Also read : Use grapeseed oil for hair growth
Oils for different types of hair
Normal hair are neither greasy nor dry. Jojoba, almond and amla oils are recommended for normal hair type.
Dry hair are dull,tangle easily and are prone to split-ends. The oil required for this purpose is the one that stimulates the sebaceous glands in the scalp to produce more oil. Almond, jojoba, coconut, sesame, mustard, cocoa-butter oils are recommended for dry hair type.
Oily hair are greasy generally because of over production of sebum by the sebaceous glands. So the type of oil that is required should be able to restore the sebaceous glands to normal. Olive, sesame, and jojoba oils are recommended for this hair type.
Also read : Fish oil for hair growth
Essential oils can be very effective in minimizing dandruff on the scalp. The best essential oil for treating dandruff is tea-tree oil. You could also try out bhringaraj oil.
Top image Courtesy: Getty
Read more articles on Hair Care
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 08, 2016
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.