Symptoms of Falciparum Malaria
Malaria Signs and Symptoms - Falciparum Malaria manifests itself through several symptoms such as jaundice, anaemia, common cold and several blood related disorders. The symptoms of Falciparum Malaria warrant immediate medical attention.
Falciparum Malaria is considered as one of the most dangerous strains of malaria which warrants immediate medical treatment and care. Although malaria has ceased to be a concern in most countries across the world, it is still a considerably predominant disease in countries which experience a tropical and sub-tropical climate. However, this disease can successfully spread through travellers who have paid visits to tropical destinations and have carried the disease back home. Without prompt medical action, this particular disease is known to assume life threatening proportions with serious complications. Almost one fifth of the patients who have received immediate treatment are also likely to face death. Therefore, the earlier it is detected, the better. In order to facilitate rapid treatment, it is important to understand the symptoms well and plan the course of treatment. The best thing to do is to seek the professional assistance of a medical practitioner, on the slightest doubt.
Falciparum Malaria Symptoms
The easiest way to detect the symptoms of falciparum malaria is to classify them systematically. Some of the prominent classifications could include:
- Jaundice: Most often, falciparum malaria results in the destruction of RBCs and liver cells. This might result in jaundice which is manifested through yellowish skin and eyes. This condition calls for immediate medical attention.
- Nerve Related Symptoms: This particular strain is known to have an impact on the central nervous system of the body. This might lead to nerve related problems which results in seizures, fainting spells, and dizziness. Slipping into a coma is also a possibility in extreme cases of falciparum malaria.
- Blood Related Disorders: Most often falciparum malaria can lead to several blood related disorders. The most common one in this category is anaemia which stems from excessive loss of red blood corpuscles and it can lead to tiredness, fatigue and other complications. Other disorders might be related to abnormal coagulation of blood and loss of blood platelets.
- Common Cold like Symptoms: Sometimes, this disease might result in symptoms which are suggestive of a common cold or flu. These might include chills, headaches, fever and even a severe bout of cough in some cases. You need to seek immediate medical attention if all such symptoms happen to appear in tandem.
- Gastrointestinal Symptoms: Sometimes falciparum malaria can lead to some prominent gastrointestinal symptoms which should be given immediate medical attention. Some of the common symptoms include vomiting and nausea. Sometimes, these vomiting spells might get persistent and disturbing. In addition, sometimes patients might also experience spells of severe diarrhoea. This could be one of the most prominent symptoms of falciparum malaria.
These are some of the most common falciparum malaria symptoms which need to be monitored with extreme vigil. Most often, we tend to ignore several of these, considering them to be commonplace illnesses. It is advisable to be a bit over cautious and seek the guidance of your family physician, should you have any confusion.
Read more articles on Malaria
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 19, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.