As the nation is in its next phase of lockdown and reality of the pandemic is now hitting home hard, we have seen a massive shift in the perception of all concerning human health and immunity system. There is a sense of panic, as summer worsens in India and yet there is no relief from the impact of the virus, which was once speculated to ebb during summer. But with summer heat increasing and with the rising level of it making people more susceptible to infections, it is now more impending on us to take care of our & our family’s immunity. While almost everyone is practising hygiene as per the measures stated by the WHO, washing hands and isolating from their social circle, in ode of controlling the pandemic – these are some tips that would help in strengthening your respiratory system most naturally. But before that, we need to understand what is that cough, which is your primary symptom to detect COVID, explains Vasavdatta Gandhi, Director at Millennium Herbal Care Ltd.
Prana Vayu & Udana Vayu (types of Vata) govern the respiratory system. When allergens, viruses and bacteria vitiate them, irritation occurs. As a countermeasure, the body forcibly expels air to remove the obstruction. During this process, the Vata (biological air) balance in the body gets impaired and causes “vataja kasa”. Ayurveda explains cough as Kasa Roga, which is caused due to derangement mainly of Vata dosha. Exposure to smoke, dust allergens, viruses, aggravates the Vata in the region of the chest and brings about contraction and stiffness of the eyes, back, the chest that may give rise to Kasa which may be dry or with sputum.
Types of Cough
Cough can be identified as wet or dry. A wet cough has mucus in the chest and causes the body to expel mucus, whereas a dry cough has lesser sputum. Some tips given by Ministry of AYUSH to control and prevent cough are as follows:
For dry cough & sore throat:
- Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina(Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds), can be practised once in a day.
- Lavang (clove powder) mixed with natural sugar/honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throatirritationThesemeasures generally treat normal to dry cough and sore throat.
- But it is best to consult doctors if symptoms persist.
Tips To Strengthen The Respiratory System
Gandhi, who stresses on the fact that natural is always long-lasting and healthy believes that this pandemic phase has brought everyone closer to the nature, enabling them to trust more on everything natural due to lesser avialable resources owing to the lockdown. Hence, these tips, as per Ayurveda, can help make a difference:
- Avoid Cough Aggregators: Certain foods can generate mucus and makes cold worse. Ayurveda stresses on balancing the kapha dosha so that you may find relief from your cold. Some foods that aggravate the kapha and can be avoided are yoghurt, ice cream, cheese, bananas, avocado, etc.
- Consumption Of Herbs: Also known as a Malabar Nut, Vasaka is a powerful herb known to be very effective in managing respiratory problems such as cough, cold and asthma. It balances the Kapha & Pitta in the body and aids the lungs’ ability to receive more prana and oxygen
- Jal Neti: This is a traditional Ayurvedic and Yogic practice of maintaining nasal hygiene (jal neti for nasal hygiene). Beneficial for the upper respiratory system, this helps in balancing the nervous system, and the mental health too. It allows for fuller, freer breathing, which increases the amount of prana, or vital life energy that we absorb.
Read more articles on Ayurveda