Pregnancy, in its own, is a very delicate phase where women become prone to various health concerns. In times of coronavirus, it is very much possible for women to get the virus and still deliver a baby. In a recent case, a nine-month pregnant woman was detected positive for coronavirus. A team of doctors led by Dr Neerja Bhatla, a professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at AIIMS performed a C-section and delivered a healthy baby. This case certainly gives a breather to expecting women wh are reeling under the danger of coronavirus. Making it easier for coronavirus-positive women who are about to deliver, Dr Rita Bakshi; IVF Expert and Senior Gynaecologist at International Fertility Centre explains how one can have a healthy infant by taking some necessary precautions during this pandemic phase:
Coronavirus and Pregnancy
Dr Bakshi says, "If a pregnant woman is suffering from coronavirus and has delivered in such times, then it is essential to first separate the child from the mother for the first few hours of the delivery. Although this thing may have emotional implications on the mother, it is essential to do so for the health of the infant and the mother too."
Breastfeeding Is Possible: Who said coronavirus positive mothers could not breastfeed the child. The first milk from the mother acts as a shield for the baby from various life-threatening diseases. Before breastfeeding the baby for a COVID-19 positive patient, the mother needs to wash her hands and her breast with water from time to time to keep the baby safe from the virus. Dr Bakshi adds, "The breastfeeding mother should always wear a mask because this virus spreads first from mouth secretion. Breastfeeding is possible as coronavirus does not spread through the mother's breastmilk. But still, it is essential to take proper precautions.
Breastfeeding Precautions And COVID-19
For proper precaution, it is essential that a breast pump is used, suggests Dr Bakshi. It is very important to sterilize this breast pump from time to time. Some tips to follow:
- Mothers should clean their hands and breast before breastfeeding the child.
- Wear a mask while feeding, and whenever you are wearing a mask, do not touch the mask.
- Use a mask only once
- Sanitize everything that comes in your house. A packet of milk, or money, should be left in hot water and soap for at least 10 minutes.
- Take off the mask from behind. Do not pull it near the front of your nose and mouth and then throw it in a closed dustbin and wash your hands.
- Make sure to rinse your mouth at least 2-3 times a day as it keeps the virus away from the tonsils and prevents them from going to the lungs. By doing this, the virus that goes inside you directly into the stomach will die from the acid produced in the stomach.
- In consultation with your doctor, take medicine for Vitamin C
- Boost your immunity system with the intake of Antioxidants
Read more articles on Women's Health