There is no denying to the fact that sprouts are nutritional powerhouses. They are supremely rich in nutrients that provide enormous health benefits improving digestion, regulating blood sugar levels, securing heart health, boosting immunity to name but a few. However, there is another scientifically proven fact that raw sprouts are dangerous for your body and wellness! Eating raw sprouts is often linked to food poisoning, indigestion, constipation, etc. which raises a question on its usefulness. For long & healthy life, it is imperative to eat right. Take a look at the potential risks of eating raw sprouts and share the work with your near and dear ones.
#1 Raw sprouts may have harmful bacteria
As we all know, sprouts grow only in a warm and humid climate. Thus, the chances of bacteria thriving in them are high. While it may seem to you that consuming raw sprouts is amazing, in reality, it is alarming!
#2 Bacterial growth causes food poisoning
One is at risk of getting food poisoning is he or she eats raw sprouts on a daily basis. The seeds of these sprouts easily harbor harmful bacteria which can upset your stomach and disturb your intestinal health.
#3 It weakens the immune system of your body
While this is important for all, old people, children and pregnant women are especially advised not to consume raw sprouts. Apart from weakening the immunity, they can put their lives at risk! As these are contaminated, it would make your body weak and prone to diseases. Hence, it is obligatory to cook them before consumption so as to avoid health hazards.
#4 May cause multiple diseases
As told in the previous pointers, it is very crucial to consume raw sprouts on a daily basis. It is likely to provoke severe health problems such as miscarriage, kidney failure, heart attack, rheumatoid arthritis, and even death!
Also Read: Roti Vs Rice: What Is Healthier?
Sprouts do offer a myriad of health benefits like
- Strengthen hair by reducing hair problems
- Delay premature graying of hair
- Betters blood flow in the body
- Manages cholesterol levels
- Improves eyesight
- Aids weight loss
- Improves digestive functions
- Treats anemia
- Boosts metabolism
- Overall great for skin health
But you are not supposed to eat uncooked sprouts. Clearly, it is not healthy. Sprouts require proper temperature and time control to preserve their nutrient value and food safety which is not easy to watch. Therefore, the best way to avoid such complications is by stopping the consumption of raw sprouts.
Some go-to tips to enjoy sprouts with zero risk
- If possible, make sprouts at home. You cannot tell the quality of sprouts that are being sold in the market. You can sprout a lot of things from grains to legumes to nuts! Try them yourself.
- When buying from a store, always go for refrigerated sprouts as they have a low risk of developing bacterias.
- Check their appearance before buying. If they look slimy and smell foul, don’t buy!
- At least stir fry them if not cooked to kill the bacterias in them.
- Make tasty recipes with sprouts to eat healthily while pleasing your tastebuds.
Read more on Healthy Diet