The modern lifestyle brings with it various health concerns, especially for women. One of the most common health concern among women nowadays is the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Even though there is a lot of awareness among women regarding this health concern, but women often ignore the first signs of PCOS, leading to a delayed PCOS Treatment. The need of the hour is to identify the health concern and look for PCOS symptoms of warning signs to further search for treatment and management options. Dr Beena Jeysingh, Senior Consultant Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Columbia Asia Hospital Sarjapur Road, explains all about the need for timely treatment and diagnosis of PCOS in women.
Here's how one can manage PCOS with yoga:
What Is PCOS?
The Polycystic Ovarian (PCO) is a condition where women experience the issue of immature or partially mature eggs in ovaries, turning into cysts. People often confuse between PCO and PCOS being the same, but they are two different conditions and has different cures too. On the other hand, PCOS happens due to hormonal imbalance. PCOS is ubiquitous in women and has no clinical manifestations. It is important to under the symptoms of PCOS to look for a possible cure for it. PCOS cure is possible only when the symptoms are timely diagnosed. Some common symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome are as follows (First signs of PCOS):
- Irregular Menstruation: A very common symptom of PCOS is irregular periods. PCOS can lead to less than nine menstrual periods in a year or even no periods for 3 or more successive months.
- Weight Gain: PCOS in women can be easily diagnosed with sudden and uncontrollable weight gain with irregular periods.
- Infertility: A bothersome yet common symptom of PCOS is infertility in women. This happens due to lack of ovulation. But, this can be rectified through a good lifestyle and proper medication. All this and a better understanding of the disease has undoubtedly made conceiving a much easier process for women suffering from PCOS.
- Higher Masculine Hormones: The frequent occurrence of acne and hair growth on the chin and upper body denotes PCOS. This happens due to higher masculine hormones in women.
Causes of PCOS
There are no specific causes of PCOS in women and hence there exist various theories that mention about probable causes of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in women. Most commonly, PCOS is associated with unhealthy lifestyles, lack of exercise, an unhealthy diet and excessive stress. PCO and PCOS can certainly be controlled and managed by following various lifestyle-related changes, including a healthy diet, following a regular exercise, etc. Timely diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is essential to limit further the damage that happens due to this health concern in women. So, if irregular periods, facial hair and increasing wright are giving you sleepless nights, here’s what can be done to manage irregular periods in women. The following practices can be undertaken to manage PCOS in women successfully:
- Treatment of hormonal imbalances for irregular periods
- Drug-induced ovulation to manage infertility in women
- Drugs to reduce hair growth on the upper body and resistance to insulin
- Laser to minimise hair growth on the body
- Treating acne with specific drugs to manage the condition
Read more articles on Women’s Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.