Often, hair fall turns out to be an associated symptom of a serious health condition that needs to be addressed promptly.
Hair loss can be a cause for serious worry for a lot of people. Although, most cases of hair loss can be effectively resolved or at least addressed by way of simple treatment regimes and remedies, there are others that may be associated with specific medical conditions. This is probably one of the major reasons why the rate of hair loss should be monitored on a regular basis especially, when it tends to become unmanageable.
Often, hair fall turns out to be an associated symptom of a serious health condition that needs to be addressed promptly. In such cases, the hair loss problem gets sorted as soon as the root cause is addressed. Medical conditions causing hair loss are best dealt with medical intervention.
Medical Conditions Causing Hair Loss
- Hair loss, especially in women, is often associated with hormonal changes. For instance, during pregnancy, pre child birth changes, menopausal fluctuations, onset or change in schedule of menstruation and so on. Each of these phases is accompanied by specific hormonal changes that may lead to unprecedented hair loss.
- Hair loss can also be associated with fungal infections of the scalp. For example, ringworms that can lead to significant loss of hair. Once anti fungal medications are employed, the lost hair is most likely to re-grow.
- Hair loss is also associated with cancer and chemotherapy or radiation based treatments. Once you recover and the treatments are withdrawn, the hair is likely to grow back.
- Medical conditions causing hair loss include diseases such as diabetes and lupus. In certain cases, medications taken for cardiovascular illnesses and hypertension can also lead to hair loss.
- Another cause of hair loss is a disease called Trichotillomania, a compulsive disorder that is characterised by tearing of hair from the scalp, eyebrows and so on. Such tendencies can even lead to complete baldness when not controlled in time. The causes behind such unusual tendencies are still a subject of research and treatments will only be symptom specific.
- Health conditions arising out of nutritional deficiencies primarily associated with protein and iron deficiency can also lead to severe hair loss. Such a cause of hair-loss can be controlled by way of balancing nutritional inadequacies and administering supplements.
Hair loss, therefore, may not always turn out to be a problem in isolation. In case it attains unmanageable proportions, you should be resorting to a complete and thorough medical check-up to unearth possible roots of medical conditions causing hair loss. Remember that hair loss treatments must always be administered with proper advice from a registered medical practitioner. Self medication will do more harm than good.
Read more articles on Hair Loss.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.