Managing Your Child's Asthma at School
Managing Asthma in the School, Creating Asthma Friendly Schools: Creation of asthma friendly schools requires few simple steps, not only to manage child’s asthma but providing him with opportunities to engage in regular activities.
It is quite difficult to manage child asthma at schools after he/she has been identified with asthma. Asthma-friendly school ascertain that child’s education is never compromised. Healthy environment allows child with asthma to continuously learn besides his health condition is being taken care of.
Schools could play an important role in managing children’s asthma. So, it is important that educational establishments get more involved in administering health conditions like asthma within their premises. Efforts of schools can avert life-threatening circumstances for children.
[Read: Hope for Children with Asthma]
Need for Creating Asthma Friendly Schools
- Asthma affects children’s academic performance due to regular absenteeism.
- Persistent asthma symptoms disallow children to compete with their fellow colleagues. Failure to compete might raise emotional issues, as children could get disheartened owing to below par scores.
- Asthma friendly schools ensure that children are prevented from exhaust of vehicles, tobacco, wildfire smoke, strong odours, sprays and respiratory infections.
- These schools impart knowledge of asthma inhalers and other aspects associated with asthma for its administration.
- Asthma-friendly schools ascertain that child is prevented from an asthma attack at school and he will get right treatment if asthma attack occurs at school.
Asthma and Schools
Asthma friendly schools will help in managing asthma even if child suffers from mild asthma. Assistance and support of others is essential for managing child’s condition and treating mild symptoms before these get worse.
As prevalence of asthma becoming more and more among children over the years, school staff needs to be knowledgeable to assist children/teenagers with asthma. It is necessary that adequate attention is given to asthmatic children at schools so as to manage and prevent asthma symptoms at school.
[Read: Asthma in Teens]
School-setting for Managing Asthma
- Asthma management includes appointment of medical staff with complete know-how.
- Ensuring environment free from asthma triggers like tobacco smoke and animal dander.
- Implementation of policies and procedures for enabling access to medications to reduce asthma triggers.
- Making sure that asthmatic children participate in physical activities every day, by making modifications in activities when needed. These should include games, sports and exercises. [Read: Safe Sports for Asthma Patients]
- Appointment of counsellor is another aspect to be considered for school-setting, with whom you can discuss child’s problems, be it learning problems or coping with other kids.
- Make sure that indoor air quality is fresh and well-maintained.
- Imparting asthma education to staff and students for asthma administration.
- An integrated pest management program for pest-free environment.
Read more articles on Asthma
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Nov 06, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.