Are you one of those guys who has a speedy metabolism and does not gain weight no matter how much you eat? You need to prepare yourself for it and take up the challenge if you want to gain weight fast and in a natural way. But the question is, how? Surely there isn’t a magic trick, but you can get some tips to gain weight.
Eat more calories than your body needs
This is the most essential way to gain weight. Determine your calorie needs using the calorie calculator available online. Aim for 300-500 calories, which should be more than you burn each day if you want to gain weight slowly and steadily. For weight gaining fastly, aim for 700-1000 calories above your maintenance level. You don’t have to count your calories daily, but it helps you to keep on track on how many calories you are eating.
Eat more proteins
Protein is a way to get those extra fats in your body. The muscles are made of protein, and without it, the calories may end up as body fat. Various studies show that overfeeding or a high protein diet causes many of the extra calories into muscles. However, it is essential to know that this may reduce your hunger and appetite significantly, making it harder to gain calories more. Have foods such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes, nuts, and others. Also, you can have protein supplements like whey protein.
Have carbs and fat
Eat 3 times a day at least. Eating plenty of high-carb and high-fat foods should be your priority. It is best to have plenty of protein, fat, and carb with every meal. Try to add energy-dense snacks whenever possible. Consume energy-dense foods with spices, sauces, and condiments. Having these foods might make your stomach full, making it harder to get in enough calories so add a few spices, sauces and herbs that will make your food tastier and a lot easier to eat.
Few of these energy-dense foods are:
- Almonds and peanuts
- Raisins, prunes, etc
- Full cream milk, cheese and heavy cream
- Clarified butter, peanut oil, sunflower oil
- White rice, oats and brown rice
- Red meat, pork, etc
- Potatoes and yams
- Dark chocolate, avocados, peanut butter, coconut milk, granola, trail mixes.
- Have fruits that don’t require much chewing, such as bananas
Eat on time
You need a proper schedule to gain weight. Eat every 2 to 3 hours and start eating 15 minutes after you wake up. Do not rely on eating a bowl of cornflakes and have a big breakfast. Have paranthas with yoghurt, fruits, a glass of milk or even a big cheese and egg sandwich. Make sure you keep yourself hydrated too.
Additional tips to gain weight
- Drink water only after your meals as drinking before can fill your stomach and make it harder to get enough calories.
- Start heavy strength training while intaking high calories.
- Squeeze in an additional snack before bed.
- Drinking whole milk is the best way to get in more high-quality protein and calories.
- Try weight gainer shakes but only with the proper prescription from a doctor alone if you are struggling to gain weight. These shakes are high in protein, carbs, and calories.
- Eat proteins first and then vegetables. Eat calorie-dense and protein-rich foods first, if you have a mix of foods on your plate.
Read more articles on Weight Management