Knotty truth about grey hair
- The process of hair going grey is fairly uncomplicated.
- An individual’s genetic make-up also influences the loss of hair pigment.
- Grave illnesses such as typhoid too can initiate premature greying of hair.
- Deficiency of nutrients can also lead to the reduced production of melanin.
Gone are the days when people used to drop their jaws at glimpse of their first strand of white hair. The not so black and not so white hair is hot on the colour charts this season.
People all over the world are experimenting with the dazzling avatars of silver, platinum and snowy white.
Cosmetic companies all over the west are targeting at 50-something spenders and using silvery haired models in most promotions. The demand, consequently, for grey haired prettiness is all of a sudden on the rise, as the look gets both fashionable and sought-after.
However many of us can still go ga-ga about the untimely graying of hair. Thus, it becomes crucial to understand the causes and related factors in premature greying of hair.
The progression towards the grey ray!
The process of hair going grey is fairly uncomplicated. The cells in the hair follicles that are the basis of pigment to be fabricated are called melanocytes. Melanin is also accountable for the colour one sees in their skin and nails. Each melanocyte has a prearranged lifetime, largely dogged by one’s genes. Once a melanocyte dies, melanin production comes to an end. Hair with residual melanin comes out to be grey or silver, while hair with no pigment comes out to be white.
Is anxiety an aspect?
According to various scientists, hormones fashioned by constant tension are most likely to curtail the life of melanocytes. However no formal link has been time-honored between stress and the existence of grey hair. However, other factors may come into play where the premature graying of hair is concerned:
- Researchers believe that an individual’s genetic make-up also has a lot to do with when he or she begins to lose the pigment in their hair.
- So if your father's or grandfather's hair started to turn grey in colour in their early years then there is a chance that you will also have premature greying of hair.
- Grave illnesses such as typhoid too can initiate greying of hair.
- Disproportionate drinking of tea, coffee and alcohol is also one of the leading causes of premature graying of hair, say experts.
- Excessive intake of fried and oily foods, spices and sour and acidic foods can lead to grey locks.
- Insufficiency of nutrients, in particular copper, can also lead to the reduced levels of production of melanin, thus causing untimely greying of hair.
Diet tips for grey hair
- Munch foods such as crab, oysters, sunflower seeds, cashews and almonds. They have ample amounts of copper and helps in attaining bouncy, black and lustrous hair.
- Consuming some of the B vitamins, iron, copper, and iodine in your daily diet is said to be a contributory factor while dealing with grey hair. These nutrients are necessary because mental worries release unusual anxiety in the skin of the scalp which hinders with the delivery of vital nutrition.
- Overriding on proteins renders your hair with innate shine and good quality texture. Eat more of sprouted whole grains, cereals, meat and soy in your diet.
- Sinking your teeth in butter milk will also aid in curing premature greying of hair.
At-home ways not to go grey!
- Treating grey hair by using cow’s milk: The butter made from cow's milk has the material goods of putting off premature greying of hair. Little quantity massaged on the roots of the hair twice in a week can do you truck load of good.
- Treating grey hair by using amla: Amla is the best cure for grey hair and lessening of hair. Habitual massage of "amla" paste massaged into the scalp has worked miracles in many cases, repeatedly overturning the process of greying.
- Treating grey hair by using rosemary & sage tea: Pour in equal amounts of sage and rosemary in 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Strain and use the liquid. However, bear in mind to repeat this process for few weeks before one observes any kind of changes.
- Treating grey hair by using coconut oil: Rub down your hair with coconut oil and lemon everyday for at least 15 minutes.
- Treating grey hair by using Lemon juice: Wash your hair on daily basis with a tablespoon of lemon juice assorted with loads of warm water until the desired colour is obtained.
Grey Overnight: Truth or fairy tale?
Legend has it that various famous figures have got grey hair in a span of one night’s sleep. The hair of Thomas More and Marie Antoinette supposedly went ash the night before they were to be put to death.
For the reason that it takes more than just a day for previously pigmented hair to come out white, it's highly cynical that these stories are true.
What one can say is that the subject of greying of hair has been questioned over the centuries and never has been agreed upon. So, just take it all in the spirit of fashion or if you’re weary of it, do something about it quick!
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Hair Care.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 30, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.