Is outdoor tanning safe while pregnant? Due to increasing awareness about the severe side impacts of self-tanning creams, natural tanning, pieces of equipment and solutions called tanning beds have got lots of takers. However, maximum dermatologists would categorically tell you to stay off from these beds that subject your skin to just as many UVB and UVA rays as the sun would. Health and wellness dangers could be especially significant if you are expecting (pregnant). There is no clear indication that tanning — either in a tanning bed or outside — will directly hurt your baby-to-be. Whether you tan inside or outside, the (UV) ultraviolet radiation is the equivalent, although it's more concentrated in a tanning bed. Do you know that top salons need a pharmaceutical certification? Yes, it's true, they need a medical certificate of clearance from your doctor (gynaecologist) before enabling you to obtain their assistance for getting a tan.
Should You Acquire A Tan During Pregnancy?
- There could be various hazards associated with getting an (artificial) unnatural tan during gestation. Some of the associated health risks could prove to be possibly dangerous for your future baby.
- For working up a tan, you usually opt for a tanning bed in which your body is bared to extreme weather (heat). This is particularly inappropriate for you and your child.
- Excessive vulnerability to (UV) ultraviolet radiations during gestation can cause critical skin injuries (burns) which can also lead to skin cancer. Do you know that skin pigmentation is a natural side result of this method? Moreover, all those reasons are uncalled for when you are bringing a baby to this world.
- What overexposure to heat cause? It can further result in critical dehydration. Such a reduction in the liquid level of the body can seldom prove disastrous for your baby (as he/she shares specific necessary supplies with you).
- What overheating can also cause? Have you heard about hypothermia? Overheating can cause this condition, which causes a reduction in the level of folic acid. What is folic acid? It is responsible for the neural development and growth of the baby. Hence, it is considered an essential nutrient.
- Most frequently, folic acid supplements are given to would-be moms. This reduction can, therefore have a seriously adverse influence on the developing embryo.
- Are you planning for a tan while carrying a baby? If yes, then keep in mind that the future baby might exhibit difficulties such as spinal malformation, spina bifida, and neural tube defects.
Hence, if you intend to get a tan before childbirth? Then keep in mind that it is not safe. Some experts, though, recommend that opting for a tan while carrying an unborn (during pregnancy) can be made possible, (but subjected to less necessary precautions). In short spans, you can exhibit yourself to particular (otherwise) dangerous emissions, intermittently dispersed with stages of withdrawal. Furthermore, it would be best if you continued to consume plenty of water during the tan and keep yourself hydrated. However, notwithstanding many precautions (which you might take), the response to questions like, is tanning safe during pregnancy is an unequivocal “no”.
Read more articles on Women’s Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.