Interesting Facts about Type 1 Diabetes
Facts about Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes is also known as diabetes mellitus type 1, juvenile diabetes and insulin-dependent diabetes.
- The first case of type 1 diabetes was diagnosed long back in 1970s.
- Type 1 diabetes is characterised by deficient insulin production. This is because this condition causes pancreatic cells (resources of insulin) to start destroying body immunity.
- For survival, a person with type 1 diabetes requires daily administration of insulin. Exercise is also an important way of keeping control over diabetes.
- Diabetics are more vulnerable to other medical conditions. For instance, diabetes is the leading cause of amputation, kidney failure and blindness. High blood sugar level in type 1 diabetics can damage their blood vessels, thus affecting eyes, kidney and even heart.
- Until recently, juvenile diabetes (type 1 diabetes) was considered to be a disease affecting only kids. But of late even adults have been found likely to develop this condition. Diabetic children are largely diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Another interesting fact about diabetes type 1 is that till now its cause is not identified. However, factors such as autoimmunity and genetics are considered to be responsible for the disease.
- According to some studies, maximum number of type 1 diagnoses is from the colder northern climates. Researchers consider viral infections due to cold climate as a triggering factor for the disease.
- Eighty percent of diabetes deaths occur in low and middle income countries. However, type 1 is less common than type 2. About 90% of diabetes cases are of type 2 diabetes.
- Every year there are millions of death from diabetes. Even though, diabetes is not the direct cause of death, it contributes to the cause. For instance, kidney failure and heart diseases are common in diabetics.
Read more articles
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 02, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.