Ways to treat hives on face
There are many strategies that can help you get rid of unsightly bumps caused by hives on face, which are, a discomfort and an embarrassment. Here is an overview of hives treatment and when to seek advice for it.
- Antihistamines such as Benadryl effectively treat or reduce hives.
- Calamine lotion offers immediate relief from itching.
- Green tea has plentiful health benefits including antihistamine effects.
- If you have hives, you can try bathing in oatmeal bath water.
Hives, also referred to as urticaria, nettle rash, uredo and itchy welts, occur as a result of an allergic reaction in the body. There are two types of hives – acute (last for less than one day, or up to six weeks) and chronic (lasts longer than 6 weeks). These appear as a group of red patches or bumps on a person's skin. The treatment of hives begins with identification of its root cause. Once you know what is triggering the allergic reaction, the most effective step is to eliminate exposure to this item.
There are many strategies that can help you get rid of unsightly bumps that are a discomfort and an embarrassment. These include:
- Traditional medicine: Antihistamines such as Benadryl effectively treat or reduce hives. The treatment options of traditional medicine include both over-the-counter and prescription medications. Your health care provider will examine hives on your skin and prescribe a version which is more effective and appropriate. These work best if taken on a regular schedule. For chronic hives, a combination of medications may be prescribed. When antihistamines don't prove effective, oral corticosteroids may be prescribed.
- Topical soothers: Calamine lotion is one topical soother that offers immediate relief from itching when applied directly to welts. Application of aloe vera topically to the hives and the skin surrounding affected areas not only heal hives but also decrease the chances of hives developing on unaffected areas.
- Herbal treatments: Green tea has plentiful health benefits including antihistamine effects, which is why it is considered one of the most effective herbal treatments for hives. Licorice root, goldenseal and chamomile tea are among others herbal treatments for hives.
- Anti-depressants: As mentioned above, the cause of hives is the determinant of its treatment. Anti-depressants are used in cases where emotional stress is believed to cause it.
- Oatmeal in bath water: If you have hives, you can try this skin-soothing remedy to calm inflammation and redness.
- Cool compress: The application of cool compress to the area lessens the burning and itching besides taking away some of the redness.
When to seek medical assistance
It is important to see your doctor in order to make sure that an illness or disease is not causing your hives or determining the cause of it. You should visit a doctor immediately if you notice hives that continue to appear after a few days, light-headedness, abdominal cramps and breathing issues.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Beauty and Personal Care.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 12, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.