Doctors often make many suggestions for normal delivery during pregnancy. Many doctors and gynaecologists recommend a pregnant mother to do perineal massage during pregnancy for normal delivery. According to doctors, normal delivery starts becoming easier after the 34th week of pregnancy. Therefore, pregnant women must continue to do perineal massage from the beginning of pregnancy so that the vagina can be sufficiently dilated and normal delivery can be done till the time of delivery. Massaging the perineal helps to spread this area for birth, it also reduces pain during childbirth.
What is a perineal massage?
- There is a small area composed of firm skin and muscles between the perineal vagina and the anus.
- It normally bears more weight during pregnancy and the baby comes out of it during delivery.
- This can later cause discomfort associated with the uterus.
- This part is spread during childbirth or is cut off during surgery and helps the baby to come out of the womb.
- If a surgical cut is made, it is necessary to sew it after delivery.
- Therefore, massaging this area is beneficial.
- Perineal massage is a technique used to improve the stretch of muscular skin between the vagina and the anus.
- Women can perform this massage from the 34th week during pregnancy with the help of their partner.
- The perineal area is massaged slowly in a clockwise motion by applying oil or lotion on the fingers.
How to do the perineal massage?
- The pregnant woman should do the perineal massage immediately after the bath or shower (if possible).
- For this, first, wash the perineal area by with lukewarm water.
- This will give comfort to the muscles there and gradually it will start to soften.
- Then lie on the back and start the massage.
- First apply coconut oil or some oil in your hands, rub it gently around the perineal and massage it.
- Circle the area between the vagina and the anus and rotate the hand and massage the internal and external perineal area for about a minute.
- As you begin to feel more comfortable, you can use more pressure to gently stretch towards the anus.
- Keep your thumb inside your vagina.
- Press and massage them firmly towards your perineal and the sides of your vagina until you feel a tingling.
- Your partner may also be able to help you when unable to reach the latter stages of pregnancy.
- Try to start this massage for a few minutes (at a time), then do it three to four times a week for ten minutes.
- With this kind of massage, your perineal will gradually become soft and flexible, which will cause less trouble during delivery.
Benefits of Perineal Massage
This perineal massage can completely reduce the risk of serious discomfort during childbirth. Perineal massage helps to stretch the vagina. This increases vaginal flexibility and reduces the need for episiotomy by improving blood circulation. It is especially beneficial for women who are becoming mothers for the first time. This massage also reduces the possibility of pain in this area during delivery.
Read more articles on Women’s Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.