How to Prevent Anemia?
Prevention of Anemia: Healthy diet options and supplements are important for preventing anemia. Besides, another way of preventing anemia is by gentic counseling.
Anemia is common medical condition but then there are hundreds of types of anemia. Some of the commonest ones include iron deficiency anemia, vitamin B-12 anemia (pernicious anemia), thalassemia and sickle cell anemia. Most people consider that anemia results due to poor nutritional intake and it can be corrected or prevented by taking a healthy diet and supplements. But every type of anemia cannot be prevented by just healthy diet and supplements. Read to know how you can prevent anemia.
Choose a healthy diet: Although all the types of anemia can't be prevented with a healthy diet the most common types of anemia such as iron deficiency anemia and vitamin deficiency anemia can be prevented by eating a diet that includes a variety of vitamins and nutrients. Include foods in your diet which are rich in iron, and vitamins (folic acid, vitamin B-12, vitamin C).
- Foods rich in rich are beef and other meats, beans, lentils, iron-fortified cereals, dark green leafy vegetables and dried fruit.
- Folic acid rich food include citrus fruits and juices, bananas, dark green leafy vegetables, legumes and fortified breads, cereals and pasta.
- Good source of Vitamin B-12 are meat and dairy products, and some cereals and soy products, such as soy milk.
- Foods rich in vitamin C include citrus fruits, melons and berries, help increase iron absorption.
- Genetic counseling: If you have a family history of anemia, go for genetic counseling. Your doctor or a genetic counselor can assess the risk of transmission of inherited anemia, such as sickle cell anemia, thalassemia to your children.
Read more articles on Anemia Prevention
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team May 23, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.