Dalai Lama has rightly said sleep is the best meditation. Like all the body’s activities, sleep is an integral part of our daily lives. Lack of sleep can cause various physical, mental, and emotional issues, further deteriorating our health. In this fast-paced world, everyone is struggling for success and monetary happiness ignoring that real wealth is health. If your body and mind and not in their best state, you would eventually have to bear the brunt sooner or later. Sleep is not optional but a need. Poor sleep is associated with numerous mental health woes. Read ahead Dr. Priya Kaul, Spiritual Healer and Life coach explains the ill effects of poor sleep on your mental health.
How does lack of sleep affect mental health?
Sleep is a break your body (especially the mind) takes from the day-to-day work at night. And, if that break is disrupted, then your body starts getting irritated and grumpy, and it reflects in your mood. Sleep and mental health are interlinked, and if any of these deteriorate, the other one faces the consequences.
How is sleep related to mental health issues?
Sleep becomes a problem when you are already undergoing a distress situation. If you suffer from mental health-related issues like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), sleep is barely your companion. Insomnia is a crucial consequence that gives rise to further mental health complications.
Lack of sleep disrupts the circadian rhythm of your body that directly hampers your overall health. If your internal clock is not in sync, your brain would not be able to perform proper functions. You must have noticed that on days when you don’t get enough sleep, you would be cranky, irritated, anxious and distressed. This is because the brain has not got the rest it needs and so, it is unable to perform normally.
How does lack of sleep affect the mind?
- Lack of concentration: Sleep is essential for the body but needs the mind to function correctly. Therefore, lack of sleep can also cause issues in concentration.
- Memory loss: Does poor sleep affect memory? When sleep issues pertain for long, they ultimately result in slow memory loss. It can get more significant to the extent that you suffer from a severe medical condition like dementia.
- Slow reactions to things: Have you ever felt someone is talking to you, but you do not understand a word? Have you ever been in a situation where you are reacting slow or late? This might be because of sleeplessness. Get proper rest, and then your mind will start functioning correctly.
- Issues in decision making: If you did not sleep properly one night, you would find yourself very confused and unprepared for the next day. You might also have issues deciding on a simple day-to-day choices like what to wear or what to eat.
- Forgetfulness: The reason why you are not able to find the essential documents is that you haven't been able to get the proper rest.
- Slow learning: When you don't take the rest your body needs, it slows down in the search for rest. That happens when you don't sleep, and then basic things take a lot more time to settle in your mind.
Tips to get good sleep
Lucky are those who fell asleep immediately after closing their eyes irrespective of the place and comfy bed! Most of us struggle to get a sound sleep on most days. If you also feel like an insomniac, here are some expert-tips to get good sleep:
- Build a routine that suits your schedule even if it is sleeping at 12 and waking up at 8. Simply follow it so that your body get used to it.
- Exercise daily as it makes the body active and mind alert. When you tire the body, your mind eventually fell asleep to get rest.
- Eat healthy food as nutrients ensure a healthy body and mind.
- Reduce screen time especially 2 hours prior to bed. Put aside all the gadgets before going to bed to prevent all kinds of distraction. You can adopt bedtime book reading habit to put your body to sleep.
- Meditate as it helps synchronize the body functions and allow the mind to stay calm and relaxed.
- Keep the room clean and organized as cleanliness attracts positivity that helps the mind slow down and relax.
- If you have just got home after a hectic day, take a warm shower. This would relax the boy and prepare it for sleep.
These are some tips that are extremely effective in getting good sleep. Do not let poor sleep and extra working hours affect your mental health. If you sleep well, your mind would work with absolute focus, concentration and best memory.
Image credits- freepik