How you can celebrate an eco-friendly diwali this year
According to a study conducted by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) 96 per cent of four major brands of fireworks violated noise and air pollution norms. Go environment-friendly this Diwali and celebrate it with lamps and
- Smoke from crackers can agravate asthma.
- Reduce the amount of crackers you burst this year.
- Light your home with lights instead of fireworks.
- Eat light to avoid binging on lots of calories.
Diwali is that time of the year when families throw a bash and celebrate the victory of good over evil. Unfortunately, due to lack of supervision and vigilance, Diwali for some, becomes a tragic memory.
According to a study conducted by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), 96 per cent of four major brands of fireworks violated noise and air pollution norms. The noxious pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide and respirable suspended particulate matter apart from smoke can aggravate asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
If you, however, follow certain guidelines, you would not dread Diwali. Read and find out how.
Undoubtedly, firecrackers light up the sky and make it more beautiful but this beauty can be dangerous for uncountable people. The toxic gases released into the sky are detrimental to both the sick and ailing people because it enters the lungs and pose a real threat.
- People with breathing problems must stay indoors and limit their exposure to smoke as far as possible.
- They should take medications prior to prolonged exposure to fumes and smoke.
- They may wear masks because it’s better than directly inhaling the smoke.
- Immediately see a doctor in case of extreme breathlessness.
Believe it or not but festive season is when you eat countless number of calories. Apparently, you cannot give intimidating festive foods a miss but you can surely do the following:
- avoid consuming heavy, deep fried snacks and other fast foods.
- dismiss any craving for chocolates and sweets.
- say no to chilled drinks as these can aggravate wheezing.
Principle of Three R's
- Reduce: air and noise pollution by reassessing the importance of a smoke-free environment.
- Refuse: to light crackers.
- Rethink: before you go to the market to shop for toxic and expensive crackers.
So, spread the word and celebrate a cracker-free, smoke-free and illness-free Diwali.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Festival Fever.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 19, 2016
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.