We always come across women contemplating the need of breastfeeding their child. However, breastfeed is not just any other food supplement for the infant. It is the only way for building the immunity of the child
After the marathon pregnancy, and sometimes a difficult delivery, mothers wonder why doctors insist on total breastfeeding. Why can't we give some top feed? Afterall it is not easy to feed every 2 hours?!!! Breast milk is simply the best milk for the babies. It is the perfect food for the babies…. always fresh, perfectly clean, just the right temperature, absolutely healthy and tailor made for each baby. What more do you want? For the child, breastfeeding can be the best gift of health from the mother, which can help build immunity in the child against several life-threating diseases and ailments.
Importance of the First Milk
The first milk ...the Colostrum...the yellowish liquid produced for first 2 to 3 days is full of antibodies and helps develop the digestive tract of the baby. Did you know the milk contains everything in the right proportions for the baby...it is tailor made food? In fact, the composition of the milk can change according to the requirements of the baby? A mother with preterm milk will produce different milk as compared to a term baby! What can be more perfect? Following are some more benefits of breastmilk for the babies.
Also Read: Diet for a Healthy Breastfeeding Mom
Breastfeeding Benefits for the Baby
- Breast milk is easily digested, hence causes less stomach upset, diarrhea and constipation
- It contains antibodies which increase the immunity of the baby. Hence your baby can fight off infections more easily than formula fed infants
- Breast feeding prevents against a host of allergies, eczema, urine infections, inflammatory bowel disease, gastroenteritis, ear infections etc.
- It also prevents crying and provides relief during vaccination
- It lowers the risk of cot death
- Breast feed infants are definitely smarter! It increases the IQ of the baby and helps in proper development
- Preterm babies also do well with breastfeeding. It offers protection against fatal conditions including sepsis, chronic lung disease, NEC etc. Hence, they are more likely to come home earlier.
- As if all this is not enough, breastfed infants benefit later on in life as well. They have lower incidence of obesity, diabetes, less likely to suffer from cancer, leukemia, lymphoma and they cope better with stress! Breast milk is nothing less than a magical potion for the child from the mother.
Breastfeeding Benefits For The Mothers
For you mom's also, there are lots of benefits of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding not just benefits the baby but also have several benefits for the lactating mother. When it comes to breastfeeding, mothers should certainly not feel pressurised as it directly affects the production of breastmilk in the body:
- Breastfeeding is the sweetest bond between the mother and the child!
- It helps in uterus contraction
- It helps you to lose weight easily post pregnancy
- There is lower incidence of breast and ovarian cancer in women that breastfeed
- And remember….no headache of sterilisation and preparation of milk
So, buck up mom's and exclusively breastfeed your babies!
With inputs from Dr Madhu Goel, Associate Director & Senior Gynaecologist, Fortis La Femme, New Delhi
Read more articles on Women’s Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.