Festival Fever - There are a lot of health benefits associated with fasting, especially if you know the right way of practicing it. So, fast right this Navratri.
Religious man and author of many books, Ed Cole had once said that, “A fast is not a hunger strike. Fasting submits to God's commands”. Therefore, the basis of fasting for religious festivals is that you do not punish your health in anyway. Moreover, come to think of it, there are several health benefits of fasting! Yes! You read that right! So this time when you undertake the Herculean Navratri fast, think of the numerous ways in which it benefit your health!
[Read: Fasting Facts and Myths]
- To begin with, fasting cleanses the body and rids it of all harmful toxins. It is an extremely beneficial detoxification routine.
- Studies have indicated that a health benefit of fasting is that it helps alleviate certain health conditions such as high blood pressure, degenerative arthritis, eczema, acne, irritable bowel syndrome and also chronic headaches.
- Apparently, a clear mind and more coherent process of thought are also health benefits of fasting. For example during a Navratri fast, our bodies have less toxins flowing through them. Therefore, our blood is thoroughly cleaned and this aids the brain and helps us think better.
- Fasting also accelerates a process of healing in the body. Damaged cells and tissues are discarded giving way to youthful exuberance and a fitter body!
- Benefits of fasting also include a freer body and mind, eased breathing, increased alertness and an overall sense of well-being.
Should I undertake a Navratri fast?
The answer to it is that you most definitely should. Apart from showing respect to tradition and culture, this Navratri fast will definitely boost your health.
- Imagine all the goodness that your body will receive from the copious amount of fruit that you will eat during the seven day Navratri fast! Your skin will glow and your body will be filled with all the right nutrients.
- The Navratri fast will surely increase your daily intake of water and that will clean your body and remove all toxins.
- The famous Kuttu ka Atta or buckwheat flour is very rich in proteins and is also known to lower blood pressure and helps in maintaining a healthy heart. It also aids weight loss. However, remember that this Navratri, make your fasting food with less oil so that the beneficial nutrients of buckwheat are not lost to abundant layers of the notorious Desi Ghee!
The important thing that you need to remember before embarking up the Navratri fast this time is that the fasting will only help your body if you exercise restraint and control. Do not gorge on food and give your body time to react to the change of dietary schedule.
Read more articles on Festival Fever
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.