Whey protein supplements have become one of the popular mediums of weight gain these days. Apart from strengthening the body muscles, whey proteins can sometimes harm our bodies.
Whey powder is a formulated nutritional supplement that is classified as a food additive and prepared primarily with milk. A by-product of cheese or casein, whey protein supplements are high in protein and lactose.
The creamy-white, bland flavour powder is used in baked goods, sauces, dressings, prepared meat products, beverages, processed cheese products and confections. Weight gain with whey protein shakes serve a specific nutritional requirement, especially that of protein. The supplements are available in a wide variety, such as in powdered, drink mixes and beverage forms. Whey protein shakes should be consumed after close consideration of their merits and demerits.
Pros of Whey Protein Shakes
- Even the most unadulterated whey protein supplements contain up to 90 per cent of whey protein by weight, which provides a major boost to weight-gain efforts.
Whey protein for weight gain (especially isolates) are fat-free and contain no carbohydrates, thus, prevents further accumulation of fat.
- Whey protein shakes contain essential and non-essential amino acids, which provide strength to the body and help muscles grow. Moreover, amino acids help in muscle recovery and tissue repair after strenuous workout.
- Most of the whey protein shakes are easy to digest and assimilate and therefore, are ideal for muscle building and managing weight. These also help the body get back to a muscle-building state after working out.
- Whey protein shakes also contain anti-cancer and immune-supporting components.
Cons of Whey Protein Shakes
- Whey protein supplement doesn’t fit in everyone’s budget, especially whey protein concentrates and rich blends.
- If you are going for an unlabeled whey protein supplement, you may miss out on some nutrients. The formulation of whey protein supplements may denature proteins, making them less effective for weight gain.
- Whey protein shakes may be devoid of various nutritional components.
What to Look for in a Whey Protein Supplement
When buying a whey protein supplement, you need to make sure what you buy is of quality standard. Try to grab products in their natural state to ensure bioactivity. These must be better processed, under low heat and low acid conditions to preserve the natural state, bio-active components and other nutrients. Those formulated in a cold-process method have the highest bioavailability.
The effects of whey protein shakes on health are still being studied by researchers, especially on medical conditions and supplementary treatment. Whey protein supplements may have negative effects; consult a doctor to find if you need it.
Read more articles on Weight Gain.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.