Physical or non-physical, our neurological system or neural system is involved in all the functions that we perform. The circumstances, situations we go through, how we think and respond, or how our genes play a role in handling our daily life is also a function of our brain. It is sometimes difficult to identify the disorders associated with the system, given our lifestyle and also the symptoms it comes with may range from as simple as a headache to a stroke. Wherever a problem associated with brain or nerves are involved, the disorder falls in the category of neurological disorder.
COMMON NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS
Dr. Pawan Ojha, Neurologist at Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi-A Fortis network Hospital highlights neurological symptoms that can indicate disorders and more. Read below-
First of all, there is no need to panic or hesitate. The specialists are well equipped to provide enough support and treatment for a neurological disorder. The key in a lot of disorders is early diagnosis and hence if the symptoms a patient is having are repetitive, it is always better to get ensured. Note the symptoms well, its frequency, its relation to a food habit. A neurological disorder affects the central and peripheral nervous system, which directly impairs nerves and brain functioning. Because the nerves are spread all over the body, it impacts almost all the organs and systems. Generally the disorders that occur due to a neurological impairment are-
A lot of these disorders may impact some or more parts of our body. Due to our lifestyle too, we can acquire certain diseases mostly infectious ones such as HIV or parasitical. Sometimes, people suffer from epilepsy, dementia, or even migraines with unknown reasons. And hence, whatever you experience should be noted well and get checked at the earliest.
DO YOU FACE THESE NEUROLOGICAL SYMPTOMS?
Although importance of diagnosis is in every type of disease or disorder, for neurological disorder detection, one may not know how deep the impact is; in fact, sometimes, we do not even realize too early until it affects us in a bigger way. A patient thus is the only best source of observation. One should identify a few recurring, simple or even some unique yet common symptoms-
- Pain in head, neck, back or limbs- Since these are the most used organs, the impact from the brain could be on them first. Pain in limbs, back and head can generally indicate a sinister disease. Pain in a specific area, headache along with neck stiffness might point towards meningitis, brain haemorrhage, brain tumour or venous sinus thrombosis. Weakness and pain in limbs along with pain in neck and back can indicate nerve root compression; further also indicate disc prolapse or a rarely serious disease such as Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
- Seizures, jerking of limbs, loss of consciousness- Frequent increase electrical activity of the brain leads to seizures or convulsions, which may be accompanied with unconsciousness, jerking or tingling of limbs. Visiting an emergency room is advised in such a case.
- Limb Twitching, Tingle or Weakness- Loss of sensation- partial or complete may indicate neuropathy or spinal cord lesion; this in further stages can also impair walking or other physical activities. Check for weakness, wasting or twitching of limbs- a sign of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Sudden weakness of limbs is acute neuropathy
- Unexplained Weakness, Vision Loss, Vertigo and Speaking or Swallowing Issues- Lower blood supply to the brain may cause haemorrhage, which affects one side of body and such symptoms are common then.
- Muscle rigidity, tremors, loss of memory or mental ability- This is majorly in the case of elders, where memory loss due to ageing or genetic reason is common. Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s are usual indications for such symptoms
There are various elaborate treatment and even diagnosis processes in a neurological disorder, so, the earlier the better. Consider your age, lifestyle, hereditary pattern while analysing your symptoms. Consult a doctor without hesitation and let a close relative or friend know about your symptom and treatment.
Read more articles on Other Diseases