Diet for Thyroid Cancer Patients
Diet plan for thyroid cancer patients provides information on the amount and kinds of food that a thyroid cancer patient needs for good health.
Thyroid cancer and its treatments usually damage the immune mechanism of the body, affecting the blood cells that offer protection against the disease. Owing to weakening of immune system, the body loses strength to fight diseases and infections. Therefore, it is important to administer thyroid cancer by scheduling a diet schedule.
The cancer form affects the thyroid gland, which is positioned in the neck. The gland is responsible for production of hormones that administer metabolism and energy level. Hyperthyroidism (excessive hormone production), hypothyroidism (deficient hormone levels), noncancerous thyroid disease and thyroid cancer are conditions associated with dysfunction of thyroid gland. Therefore, a nutritious diet along with medical treatment is essential to ascertain minimal symptoms to promote overall health.
Diet for thyroid cancer must be structured from the food groups detailed below.
- Foods enriched with whole grains provide much-needed nutrients, fibre and protein for adequate food processing.
- Whole grains help to manage blood sugar levels, digestive health and nutritional sufficiency.
- Gluten-free grain foods such as brown rice, wild rice, gluten-free oats and popcorn should be incorporated in the dietary schedule if one has celiac disease along with thyroid disease.
- Otherwise, whole wheat grain breads, pasta and cereals are also good food options for thyroid cancer patients.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Vegetables rich in fibre and antioxidants such as broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, carrots, sea vegetables, seaweed, tomatoes, squash and bell peppers are highly recommended for thyroid patients.
- Cruciferous vegetables assist immune system to defend itself from infections and diseases.
- Berries, kiwi, cherries, citrus fruits, papaya, mango, plums and red grapes are advised for thyroid patients. These fruits are excellent sources of vitamin C, beta-carotene, fibre (roughage) etc.
- Drinks that are high in protein and energy are recommended for thyroid patients.
- Milk should be the common base of most of the drinks; full-cream milk should be preferred because it is powered with more energy.
- If a patient has intolerance to lactose, prepare drinks with low-lactose milk or soy milk.
Meat and Seafood
- Cold-water fish containing omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, tuna, herring, lake trout, flounder, halibut and sardines are advised for thyroid cancer patients.
- Fish with omega-3 fatty acids promote positive brain functions and heart health.
- Meat food such as beef, lamb, pork, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts, legumes and tofu are advised for thyroid cancer patients. Incorporation of meat and seafood helps in maintaining healthy immune system.
Read more artilces on Cancer
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 11, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.