Monsoon season brings with a host of viral and bacterial diseases, which makes it all the more important for one and all to take extra care of their health. Water-borne diseases are common to happen during this season, one of which is diarrhoea. It includes loose, watery stools and excessive dehydration. Even though diarrhoea is considered less dangerous and easily curable, one must know that not taking proper care during this time can lead to severe symptoms like dehydration due to sudden loss of water in the body. Those who suffer from diarrhoea are prescribed ORS or oral rehydration solution for instant relief from dehydration. This solution is typically given to diarrhoea patients to balance the electrolyte levels in the body.
Why ORS For Diarrhoea Patients?
60-70 per cent of our body is made up of water. When the amount of water in our body decreases, there increases the chance of various diseases. Lack of water leads to various symptoms symptoms like weakness, tiredness and dizziness can be experienced. Dehydration is also a common symptom of diarrhoea, which should be addressed at the earliest. According to research done in 2019, about 1.5 million people die every year in the country due to dehydration. Not just adults but this solution are apt for children too. Chances of diarrhoea infections in infants and children are very high. Before anything, ORS is considered the best drug for infants and kids. This solution is primarily given to balance the level of water and minerals in the body, which gets disturbed because of diarrhoea infection.
How Much ORS Is Safe To Consume?
This does not mean that ORS can be had like regular water. Just like we say excess of anything can be harmful, one must consult a specialist to know the right amount of ORS required for proper care and treatment of diarrhoea. Dr Mohammed Hasnain Raza, Head, Emergency, Fortis Hospital Gurgaon explains that we specifically give ORS to patients to cope up with the loss of fluids and salt in the body due to loose motions. Some tips to follow while drinking ORS, as told by Dr Raza:
- Don’t gulp the solution, take small sips: Each sip should be taken every couple of minutes.
- One cup of ORS is recommended every 15 minutes. We should work towards rehydrating the body slowly.
- If children, infants have diarrhoea for more than three days, then ORS should be given to them for instant relief.
- Infants under two years of age can be given one quarter to half a cup, and children who are above two years of age, from half a cup to a cup.
How To Prevent Diarrhoea?
It is all about taking necessary precautions to be safe from seasonal illnesses like diarrhoea. On a concluding note, do not take your health lightly but take all the required steps for prevention. Listed below are some easy tips that one must follow in monsoon for complete health and wellness:
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating as they could be carries of virus or bacterial infections.
- Only drink boiled or RO water and eat wisely. Avoid eating spicy and fried food
- Avoid eating food sold in the open.
- Keep nails small and take care of personal hygiene too.
Read more articles on Other Diseases