Diabetes Care during Natural Disasters
A natural disaster can take a toll on anyone, diabetic patients are especially advised to be careful and stay on guard. Here are some tips.
During any natural disaster, diabetics face far greater challenge compared with the others. Therefore, it is always important that you be well prepared to face such a challenge anytime whether for yourself or your loved ones. There may be several things linked to a natural disaster, such as an evacuation or homelessness that may cause you to take on a Government shelter. Such changes cause a great deal of suffering, a greater deal for diabetics because diabeteics have a different lifestyle altogether. They have a planned and scheduled lifestyle, which a sudden emergency may threaten.[Read : What are Insulin Side-Effects in Diabetes]
Take a look at the following ways in which you can be prepared in the face of any natural disaster.
- Pile a stock of insulin, syringe and other medicines so that you do not fall short of them. Also keep excess of saccharin so that you do not have to have sugary tea or coffee during the emergency period.
- Also, do buy alcohol swabs, cotton balls and tissues and anything else that compliments your intake of insulin.
- You may also want to buy an ice box because in an emergency situation, there may not be any electricity and you will have to keep your insulin cool. So, buy an ice box and be prepared with some ice so you can use them to store the insulin in.
- Buy a glucose measuring meter so that you can keep a check on the level of glucose in your blood stream.
- Another very important thing that needs to be taken care of during such times is food. Keep a stock of typical diabetic food. Be careful not to let your schedule go haywire. Always stick to the ground rules of being a diabetic.
- Being a diabetic patient, you also should at all times take care of your feet no matter how large the natural disaster is. Flood, earthquakes and any type of disaster will without doubt have many a scraps and junks lying everywhere. It is important to wear a rough and tough shoe, such as those from Timberland. The big shoes will ensure that your feet are safe inside them.
- Do not skip meals as that is not the right thing to do for a diabetic patient. Eat properly at all times and if the disaster is taking a toll on you, eat light, but never go hungry.
You may also like to read : How to Travel with a Diabetic Patient
Natural disasters can be a struggle, a pain; a wrath of nature that swallows all of existence. Be sure to save the human in you when all it tries to do is turn you into a monster.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 23, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.