Coronavirus Prehabilitation: Knowledge is power, and there is no better time to improve it so that it can help reduce mortality and morbidity in this Corona pandemic. Complete lockdown, Social Distancing, Hand hygiene and wearing masks when outside will all help us fight the notoriously contagious disease. Prehabilitation will help us combat it better when we are confined indoors. Prehabilitation was a term coined in world war 2 to prepare soldiers for the war front. Prehabilitation is a multi-prong approach and involved nutrition, hygiene, recreation, physical training and exercise.
Dr Manjusha Agarwal, Consultant- Internal Medicine, Global Hospital Mumbai, states that "in the current situation, physical activity is a must for all individual as per their medical condition. People should remain active in whichever way possible by staying indoors. Engaging in household chores like cleaning, dusting, mopping, gardening will help you stay active and burn calories".
- Combine regular household work with yoga exercises like Surya Namaskar, stretching exercises, Pranayama, Deep breathing exercises.
- Meditation and prayers boost your mental and psychological strength which in turn boosts your immune response and helps prevent disease.
- It is important to maintain proper nutrition during the lockdown period.
- Please avoid unnecessary calories intake by cutting down junk food, deep-fried items, chips, bakery items, cold drinks, salty food and sugary items.
- Improve your protein intake.
- Have protein food in all your meals.
- Vegetarian can opt for dal/legumes/chickpeas/rajma/beans n sprouts, paneer, cheese, milk, curd, buttermilk.
- Non-vegetarians can opt for eggs/fish/chicken.
- Improve your intake spices like turmeric/cinnamon/garlic n ginger powder or in the root form.
- Improve your intake nuts and seeds and dry fruits/dates.
- Improve your intake of fresh fruits.
- Hydrate yourself with water properly.
- Complete cessation of smoking is advised to improve your lung capacity as this virus has a preference for your lungs.
- Do not skip any of your regular medications.
- Follow your doctor's advice strictly.
- Lockdown is inevitable. Enjoy your freedom during this time by pursuing your hobbies, reading books, catching up on old movies, friends.
Lastly, be positive that together we will overcome this crisis and life will be normal as before.
Read more in Latest Health News