Care for your eye
The number of conjunctivitis cases is increasing. Dr Ajay Sharma, MD, Eye Q Super Speciality Eye Hospital tells you the proper way to take care of your eyes and how to keep eye infections at bay
What is Eye flu or conjunctivitis
Conjunctiva, a clear and thin membrane covers the eyeball and the inside of the eyelids. Conjunctivitis is the soaring of the conjunctiva.
The most important thing is that flu or conjunctivitis does not spread by looking into the eyes of the affected person. But one should avoid being in physical contact with the affected person.
Causes of the infection
The scorching sun in summers can be one of the causes of bacterial conjunctivitis because bacteria multiply in summers. Bacterial conjunctivitis can come with any viral infection like fever, viral cold or flu. Both types of infections are contagious.
The introduction of bacterial microorganisms into the eye can be one of the reasons of catching the infection. These microorganisms may be transmitted to the eye by contaminated hands, washclothes or towels, cosmetics (particularly eye makeup), false eyelashes or wearing the contacts for extended hours.
Another reason could be offenders like air pollutants, smoke, soap, hair spray, makeup, chlorine or cleaning fluids. Some people even have a seasonal allergic response to grass and other pollens that can cause conjunctivitis.Uncontrolled infection in the eyes can even affect the cornea of the eye and result in diminished vision. One should not at all take self medication in any case.
- Gritty feeling in eyes. The person can even have pain in eyes and should avoid stress.
- Swelling of eyelids may also occur, so approach the doctor in time.
- Watering eyes is a common sign of conjunctivitis. There is a continuous discharge from the eyes of the affected person.
- Conjunctivitis is also known as 'pink eye' and the eyes of the person get redness accompanied by itching.
- Vision may be affected from the increase in tear production.
It may take a few days or about two weeks for most types of conjunctivitis to clear. Conjunctivitis is just like any other viral and will clear only after completing its cycle. Diagnosis Diagnosis consists of physical examination of the eye. What the doctor suggests to 'wait out' the eye flu. "It might take about a week to completely recover from conjunctivitis.
Although many kinds of conjunctivitis/ flu are hard to prevent but measures can be taken to decrease the risk of reacquiring or spreading the infection:
- Do not share eye makeup or cosmetics. Infection spreads very easily so one has to take proper measures to avoid such infection.
- Avoid sharing washcloths or towels.
- Wash the eyes frequently.
- Wash hands frequently and do not touch eyes again and again.
- Do not try self medication (eye drops, ointment, etc.) but approach doctors for proper medication.
- Avoid swimming in non-chlorinated pools or stagnant lakes or ponds.
- Apply cool compression to the infected eye(s).
- Avoid rubbing your eyes to decrease irritation of the area.
- Avoid wearing lenses.
- Use fully condensed sun glasses.
- Vegetable juices have proved beneficial in treating conjunctivitis. Take about 200 ml of spinach juice and add 300 ml of carrot juice to it. Consume this mixed juice everyday and see its wonderful effects.
- Take 1 cup of the juice extracted from Indian gooseberry and mix 2 teaspoons of honey in it. It should be consumed two times in a day.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin A and B2 like curd, butter, whole milk, pumpkin, almonds, tomatoes etc.
Source: Jagran Cityplus Jul 08, 2010
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.