3 best cardio exercises that you can do at home
- You don't always have time for gym.
- Home can be your gym with a number of indoor exercises.
- Lead a healthy life with indoor exercises.
With your professional commitments and family responsibilities, hitting the gym may not seem like a possible idea sometimes. There are some cardio exercises that are easy to do and can be done at home. Take a look at some of the cardio exercises you can do at home.
With state-of-the-art infrastructure, every mall, station or theaters has escalators, but if you have flights of stairs at home, use them to climb up and down at least thrice or more times a day. It is a great exercise, which tones one’s lower body and strengthens the bones of the legs. If you don’t have a stairway in close proximity, use a step stool. Try doing the following exercises by taking the stairs to involve multiple muscle groups in your home cardio exercises.
- Climb stairs as you normally do.
- Skip a step while climbing stairs to work on your hamstrings and gluts.
- To work up the sides of your waist and thighs, climb the stairs by standing sideways.
Swim on the floor
Swimming on the floor is among the easiest home cardio exercises to strengthen the core muscles and build cardiovascular endurance. This exercise makes the entire body move. Follow the steps below to perform the exercise correctly.
- Lie on your stomach. Extend your arms and legs while maintaining a straight line with the body.
- Do not lift your head.
- To begin the exercise, lift your chest, arms and legs slightly upward keeping the head down.
- Alternatively, lift one arm and one leg- right arm and left leg or left arm and right leg. Do it at a quick pace while keeping the stomach, legs and hamstring tight.
- Perform the exercise for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Repeat 8-10 times.
- The arms and legs should not touch the floor. Keep your shoulder muscles tight.
This exercise is a combination of squats, push-ups, sit-ups and jumping jacks and is a great exercise to maintain heart health and keep the body toned. This exercise combo requires the practitioner to keep a clock near for tracking time.
- Begin with jumping jacks. Spin around in a circular motion to use different muscle groups.
- Squat while keeping your back and arms straight. Now, put your hands on the floor, extend your legs behind you and lower your body to do push-ups.
- Bring your feet forward to attain a frog-jumping position. Lift your upper body to do sit-ups.
- Stand up as you would stand up from a squat. Repeat the combination as many times you want.
Ask your friend to do these cardio workouts with you. An exercise partner will keep you motivated and make the exercise session fun.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 26, 2017
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.