Breast cancer is an increasing cause for concern for many in India, as current research by India against Cancer indicates that it accounts for 14% of all cancers in Indian women. A lack of information on this topic has led to dire situations with over 1.6 lakh new cases registered each year, resulting in over 80,000 deaths. But while this name does invoke fear in many, recent developments in this field of medical research, has brought about better treatment options, and more effective preventive measures.
This type of cancer is spread when the cancerous cells enter the bloodstream or the lymph system and get transported to different parts of the body. It is important to know more about breast cancer, as early detection can help eliminate this threat.
Watching out for crucial early warning signs and adaptation of preventive measures play a major role in thwarting this disease, some of which are as follows:
- Swelling of the entire, or part of the breast
- Skin irritation or dimpling
- Pain in the breast
- Pain in the nipple or the nipple turning inward
- Redness or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- Unusual nipple discharge
- A lump in the underarm area
- Reddish, or darkened appearance on either breast
These are the most common symptoms of breast cancer and special care must be taken by all to detect them as soon as possible. Staying vigilant about your health is extremely critical, and the first the step towards detection can easily be done using the TLC method – Touch, Look and Check.
- Touch your breasts to check if anything feels unusual, Look for visual changes, and Check all changes with your doctor.
- While breast cancer is a dangerous complication, there are measures that you can take to avoid it.
(With inputs from Mr Rohit Shelatkar, Vice President, Vitabotics)
Read more articles on Cancer