Do you know what are gallstones? It is the hardened stone formation made of bile that grows in your gall bladder. The function of a gallbladder is to store bile, which is the digestive juice in your body. Liver is responsible for bile secretion and it breaks the soluble and insoluble fats for better absorption. When bile gets stored in your gallbladder for some time, cholesterol starts producing there. Due to more cholesterol, there is a risk of stone formation in varying sizes. It is very difficult to naturally flush out stones but you can get pain relief. Yoga is an excellent way to enhance digestion and manage gallstones.
In some cases, gallstones are not painful. They might stay in the gallbladder for a long time without causing any pain. Pain can trigger if the gallbladder tries to push the stones out of the gallbladder through the bile duct. There are many home remedies that can help in getting rid of this pain. Read further to know about some simple yoga poses to prevent gallstones.
Yoga poses for gallstones
Image source: Theyogacollective
There are many yoga asanas that are good for the prevention of gallstones. This list includes the bow pose, peacock pose, spinal twist, and narayan pose (lying on the left side). Yoga poses can help in preventing the storing of bile in the gallbladder. These postures will improve the circulation in your gallbladder, further preventing the crystallization process.
1. Bow Pose
Dhanurasana or bow pose can help in improving your gallbladder and many other different organ functions as it gives a therapeutic massage internally. This asana helps in strengthening your back and abdominal muscles while providing a good stretch.
- Lie down on your stomach and bend your legs with the support of your knees
- You have to touch your back and hold the heels using your arms and hands
- Instead of lifting your body up, you can let your ankles to go backwards, like you are stretching your shoulders as much as you can, also allowing your chest to come off the floor
- You have to hold this asana along with your breath to gently move the body back and forth in a to and fro movement
2. Spinal Twists
Spinal twists can also help in providing relief from gallstones. This is an easy form of exersice that can be practised at home. Spinal twists help in enhancing your gallbladder function, further softening the gallstone for easy flushing out process and can also be helpful in preventing this condition.
- Lie down straight and keep your right foot flat on the floor outside the left knee and then the left leg to the right
- Then, keep your left ankle on the opposite side of the right buttock
- Keep your left arm outside the right leg along with the left hand and hold this position
- Turn your body to the right side with your arm behind the back
- Turn your back and the neck as much as possible without too much strain. Repeat this with the other leg as well
3. Narayan Pose
Narayan pose is beneficial in improving organ function and alleviating the pain caused by gallstones. You can prevent this condition with narayana pose as it is a good stretch for your body.
- Lie down on your left side of the body with the arms stretched and behind the end
- You can even raise the head with your hand's help and support. Till then, your right foot should stay on the left foot
- You have to hold this pose for atleast 10-15 minutes
Along with these yoga poses, one should also avoid fried foods, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese and different fatty foods, especially animal fat and saturated fats. This type of diet helps in accelerating coagulation of bile into gallstones.
Read more articles on Yoga
Image credits: Yogaclassplan.com