Tips to Prevent Hair Loss
Hair loss has become a very common problem these days. Some of its causes are dandruff, excessive oiliness of scalp, illness, thyroid imbalance, stress, nutritional deficiency, as well as hair damage caused by procedures like hair colouring/dyeing, bleaching, straightening, etc. Read on to know about hair care and ways to prevent hair loss or balding:
Hair cleansing is important
In hot and humid weather, the hair should be washed more often, in order to remove sweat and oil deposits, along with dirt. If the hair is oily, it should be washed three or four times a week. For dry hair, wash twice a week.
Choose right products
Harsh hair products disturb the normal acid-alkaline balance and also stimulate the scalp further, leading to a build-up of dead cells on the scalp, aggravating problems like dandruff. One needs a shampoo or hair cleanser, along with conditioner or hair rinse. One should select products containing herbs like amla, shikakai, reetha, brahmi, bhringaraj, arnica, trifala, hibiscus (gurhal or javakusuma), bael, neem, sandalwood, etc.
Tips to prevent hair loss
- If there is hair loss, warm oil may be applied, but avoid vigorous massage. In hair loss, the roots may be weak and vigorous massage or rubbing can cause more hair to fall out.
- As nutritional deficiency is one of the most common causes of hair loss, the diet is very important.
- Take a small bowl of sprouts daily. Sprouts contain amino acids, which are very beneficial to the hair.
- Include fresh fruits, raw salads, leafy green vegetables, whole grains and curd in the daily diet.
- Drink plenty of water. Add the juice of a lemon to a glass of water and have it first thing in the morning. Ask your doctor to prescribe vitamin and mineral supplements. Try to reduce stress.
- Learn yoga and practise it daily, including deep breathing exercises. Learn relaxation techniques.
- In cases of balding, apart from wearing a wig, there are other options, like hair weaving, hair extensions and hair transplant. Hair weaving is done if the person is partially bald. The hair is actually woven to the roots of the existing hair. The hair is sometimes glued on. Then it is said to grow naturally. Partial hair extensions are becoming more popular in the hair weaving method.
- Hair transplant is a surgical procedure, in which a portion of the scalp which contains hair is taken, along with the hair follicles and grafted in the bald areas. The hair then begins to grow in the bald areas. Nowadays the procedure has become very advanced and is said to be better than hair weaving. It may be done in one session, or may take several sessions. Precautions are taken before and after the procedure, since it is surgical.
Source: Jagran Cityplus Jun 27, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.