While bidding adieu to the passing year, it's always fun to let loose your inhibitions and get wild and join the party brigade in welcoming the New Year. But at the same time, these rave parties and thrilling atmosphere bring with them their da
While bidding adieu to the passing year, it's always fun to let loose your inhibitions and get wild and join the party brigade in welcoming the New Year. But at the same time, these rave parties and thrilling atmosphere bring with them their dark side as well–especially for women. There are certain things that you need to take care of in such parties. Read on:
Beware of Rohypnol
Rohypnol, generally known as 'date rape' drug, is popular among unscrupulous elements. Though the drug has medicinal purposes, it is used to incapacitate women during sexual assaults.
"The drug has no taste or odour, so if given one does not realise what is happening. About 10 minutes after taking the drug, a woman may feel dizzy and disoriented, simultaneously too hot and too cold, and/or nauseated. She may experience difficulty speaking and moving, and then pass out. The most dangerous thing is that such victims have no memories of what happened while under the drug's influence," says Poonam Malhotra, a general physician.
The combination of alcohol and Rohypnol is particularly fatal. "With many cases of rape being reported in the city, there has to be a lot of awareness and things to be taken care of even while stepping outside home. You always have to keep your eyes and ears open to be safe," says Megha Virmani, a social worker.
Identify the drug
Rohypnol tablets are white with a score on one side and the word "ROCHE," and are sold in pre-sealed bubble packs.
The side effects
- Decreased blood pressure
- Memory impairment
- Visual disturbances
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Urinary retention
How to guard yourself
- Be wary about accepting drinks from anyone you don't know well or long enough to trust.
- Never leave your drink unattended. If you have to go to the bathroom, either finish your drink or throw it way.
- Beverages that come in sealed containers (unopened cans or bottles) are safer than mixed drinks.
- If you order a mixed drink, watch the person who mixes it.
- Never drink anything out of a common punch bowl.
- Subscribe to the buddy system: Always party with one or more friends, and keep an eye on each other. If someone begins to appear too drunk, get him or her to a safe place.
- The attacker volunteers to escort the "sick" or "drunk" person home. Once out of the public eye, the attacker may take the victim to a hotel, to the victim's home, or to other places.
- Several hours later, the victim wakes up feeling very disoriented. They can't remember what happened after they left the party.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.