Ayurvedic Treatment for Obesity
- Underweight and overweight are signs of imbalance of vata, pitta, and kapha doshas
- Weight control problems occur if your food intake is not balanced by a proper digestion
- In people with vata dosha underweight rather than overweight is the problem generally
According to Ayurveda underweight and overweight are signs of imbalance of vata, pitta, and kapha doshas. Weight control problems occur if your food intake is not balanced by a proper digestion or metabolism and is not dependent on your food intake. Ayurvedic treatment for obesity focuses on boosting your metabolism as well as cutting down on harmful foods.
Overweight or obesity occurs mostly in people with predominantly kapha-type dosha although obesity is seen in people with the other two doshas as well. In people with vata dosha underweight rather than overweight is the problem generally.
Also read: Ayurvedic Herbs for Weight Gain
In Ayurveda strategies for weight loss are designed for each person after a thorough assessment of his/her- mind, body, and the soul. The specific remedy or ayurvedic medicines are decided based on the dosha of the person.
Also read: Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Gain
Advice for ayurvedic treatment for overweight people from a professional practitioner generally includes:
- Follow a regular lifestyle regimen and diet according to your constitution
- Increase intake of foods that enhance your digestive fire or digestive power. Foods which enhance digestive fire are Ginger, Papaya, Mango, Pineapple, and Bitter melons
- Other methods to improve digestion: Take sips of hot water throughout the day, drink ginger tea 2-3 times per day; fast one day a week (you can take liquids, fruit or vegetable juices, warm skim milk, light soups, teas, etc); use herbs and spices like cumin, ginger, mustard seed, cayenne, and black pepper generously in your cooking
- Do exercise, yoga, meditation, and pranayama (breathing exercises) regularly according to your body type
Also read: Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Loss
Herbs for Ayurvedic Treatment of Obesity
- Take herbs like gotu kola, amalaki, and shilajit in powder or capsule form
- Take a teaspoon of guggul with ginger and honey two or three times daily
- Mix chitrak (Plumbago zeylonica), kukti, and trikatu in equal parts. Daily take 1/2 teaspoon of this herbal blend with warm water
These remedies are recommended for everyone irrespective of their dosha. Herbal ayurvedic remedies based on dosha type should be taken under care of a professional ayurvedic practitioner. A through analysis by a professional will surely lead to better ayurvedic treatment for overweight condition.
Caution: A professional ayurvedic prescribes a remedy based on your symptoms and dosha type. If you are on at-home ayurvedic treatment, and your weight does not improve in one to two months see a professional ayurvedic doctor.
Also read: What is Eastern Indian Herbal Weight Loss?
Top image source: Getty
Read more articles on Ayurveda.
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 16, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.