Malaria has been treated with traditional medicines for thousands of years. Artemisinin and quinine derivatives are the source of the two most effective groups of modern antimalarial drugs. The increasing drug resistance, the cost of treatment and difficulties in remote areas to access the conventional drugs has made ayurvedic herbal remedies an important and sustainable source of treatment. Several herbal remedies are effective in treatment of malaria.
Ayurveda (Herbal Remedies) for Malaria Treatment
- In quartan malarial fever lime and lemon are effective. Take a mixture of three grams of lime and a juice of 1 lemon dissolved in about 60 ml of water before you suspect the attack is about to take place.
- Chirayata (Swertia chirata) can be beneficial in treatment of intermittent type of malarial fevers. Chirayata (15 gm), along with aromatics like cloves and cinnamon immersed in water, given in doses of 15 to 30 ml helps in lowering the temperature.
- Alum can give relief if you take powdered alum in divided doses before the expected attack.
- Leaves of holy basil are also beneficial in the treatment of malaria and can check the severity of the disease. Holy basil leaf mixed with three grams of black pepper powder can be beneficial in the cold stage of the malarial fever.
Ayurveda (Herbal Remedies) for Malignant Tertian Malaria Treatment
- In the initial stages of malaria take Sheetmani Rasa (250 mg) thrice daily with honey or mixture Mahajwara ankush Rasa (125 mg), Shuddha Sphatika (240 mg) with juice of tulsi leaves thrice daily.
- In patients with intermittent fever take Tuvrimallayogia (60 mg) two times daily. First dose is taken one hour before the attack and another one hour after or pills made from mixture of Godanti Bhasma, Shuddha Sphatika, and Flesh of Karanja 2 hours before expected attack.
Diet tips for Malignant Tertian Malaria
- Take liquid diet during fever, and green vegetables and fruits in the post-recovery stage.
- A mild laxative taken before an attack can modify its virulence.
Caution with Ayurveda Treatment: Ayurvedic remedies can probably treat malaria effectively, but inform your physician if you intend to use herbal remedies. Do not rely on Ayurvedic remedies for the prevention of malaria or treatment of severe malaria. Ayurvedic remedies should probably used for malaria treatment till you reach a proper medical facility.
Read More Articles on Ayurveda