Are you taking proper dental care?
A lot of us don't pay much attention or importance to taking proper dental care of our teeth. This is the worst we can do to our teeth. You must regularly pay a visti to your dentist and diagnose dental ailments well in time.
'In a recent survey, we were surprised to find that most Indians don't give much importance or time to brushing their teeth. Yet, it is a vital step for dental health. A technically sound toothbrush and fluoride-based toothpaste are essential tools. And, since India is the diabetes capital of the world, you need to be extra careful, because there is a well-documented link between diabetes and gum diseases. All dental diseases are preventable, if diagnosed in the early stages. So be regular with your visits to the dentist,' says Dr Paul R Warren, vice president, Global Professional & Scientific Relations, P&G Professional Oral Health.
5 major dental ailments such as tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, tar and staining of teeth and sensitivity to heat and cold begin to surface especially as you grow older.
Tips to take care of your teeth:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Don't use a hard bristle toothbrush or poorly constructed one.
- Buy quality brand toothbrushes only.
- Make sure that your toothpaste has fluoride in it. It is very important for your teeth.
- Visit a dentist at least twice a year. Keep a check on your sugar intake. It is the primary reason for tooth decay.
- Avoid cigarettes and chewing tobacco.
- Avoid using toothpicks or sharp metal pins to clean in between your teeth. They injure your gums and may lead to tetanus.
- Floss!* Although brushing your teeth helps, the bristles don't completely dislodge the plaque formed in between the teeth. Flossing does this effectively, and prevents gum diseases.Chewing gum is good for your oral health, as long as it is the sugar-free variety.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 30, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.