6 Exercises To Ease Your Sciatica Pain
- Sciatica pain can be mild to severe
- The pain travels through the lower back to the buttocks, back legs to the feet
- The stretches enable you to stretch the tiny piriformis muscle
Back pain can occur in multiple ways and it can increase after an injury. One of them is sciatica pain – it occurs when the body’s sciatic nerve is inflamed. It can be a mild to severe pain, depending on the severity of the condition. The pain may travel through the lower back to the buttocks, back legs to the feet.
Sciatica pain generally affects one side of the leg but in some severe cases, it may affect both the sides. It can happen any time of the day while walking, sitting or sleeping. The pain is hard to treat but there are some exercises which can help with the condition.
Also read: 11 Effective Ways to Relieve Sciatica Pain
Reclining Pigeon Pose
- Lie down on a mat with your knees flexed and feet flat on the floor.
- While lying on your back, bring your left leg up to left angle.
- Lift your right leg and place your left ankle on the right knee.
- Hold the position for a few minutes.
- Repeat on the other side.
Knee to Opposite Shoulder
- Lie in the same position as the last exercise.
- Clasp your hands around the right knee and bring it close to your chest. Make sure that your toes are pointed.
- Gently bring your right leg towards your left shoulder and hold for about 30 seconds.
- Go to the initial position and repeat with the other side.
- Standing Hamstring Stretch
- Place your right foot on an elevated surface. Flex your foot so your toes and legs are straight.
- Bend your body forward toward your foot, the deeper you go, the better the stretch. But make sure you are not pushing too far that your feet start hurting.
- Release the hip of your raised leg downward and hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side
Forward Pigeon Pose
- Bring down your torso down in a forward bend over your right leg.
- Bring your right ankle to your left wrist. Now, slide your left leg back with pointing out your toes.
- Being your lower leg close to the groin and taking the help of the floor, straighten your back.
- Inhale and exhale 10 times before switching to the other side.
Reclined Cow Face Pose
- Lie down on the back and bring your knees close to your chest.
- Cross your left leg over your right and hold the shin with your hands of each side
- After 10 seconds, hold both legs with both hands on each side.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Lie down on your stomach with resting your head on a pillow.
- Keep your hands next to the pillow and palms flat on the floor.
- Flex your left knee so the lower leg and the thigh are perpendicular to each other.
- Gently lift upwards so that your thigh is off the floor.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and bring it back to the initial position.
- Do this 5 times on each side.
All of these exercises enable you to stretch the tiny piriformis muscle, which becomes inflamed and causes pain in the sciatic nerve.
Read more articles on Pain Management.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 11, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.